New Mexico Bull Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Mexico Bull Down!

Just got back from a trip to New Mexico, wasn't planning on being home this soon but can't complain about tagging out on the first day!

By far the most exciting hunt I've ever been on. Had 3 or 4 cows and a spike start working their way in about 15 minutes before dark followed by a small bull slowly working his way in behind them. The cows got about 30-40 yards behind me to my right and either started smelling me or caught a glimpse of me because they just froze looking right at me. Luckily the small bull came in and pushed them a little further forward. Heard him bugle and then right away another bull that I hadn't seen let out a huge bugle behind me to my left.

I instantly started shaking uncontrollably and COULD NOT get it together haha. About that time a giant bull, giant to me anyways, comes out walking in front of me about 35 yards. I've bowhunted in Africa, killed lion, kudu, and a bunch of other stuff that got m adrenaline flowing, but I've never had the shakes like this. I couldn't even keep it together to get my rangefinder on him the first few tries!

Tried to calm down with no luck but I set my sight to 35 yards and drew as he was walking. He stopped with a stump blocking his internals while starring down the other bull and then took a few steps forward and I released.

I instantly knew I hit him too far back but he ran to 65 yards and faced me quartering to me. By this time my nerve had gotten even WORSE and I set my sights to 65 and flung another one towards the center of his chest. It went in and exited out his shoulder. Lots of blood everywhere but he ran out to 100 yards and bedded down. I watched him as long as I could until it got too dark so I backed out and let him sit.

I wish I could of made a good clean shot the first time but it all worked out in the end so I guess that's all that matters. He's an 8x8 but won't score great. he was a really old bull, they said probably atleast 9 years old. Sorry for the long read but I'm still pumped about it, by far the most exciting few minutes of hunting I've experienced.

Haven't got the good pictures yet but here's a shot of him when we found him.

Good sight to see when you get home, full coolers of meat, and antlers sticking out of the truck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CP121; 09-17-2017, 08:18 AM.

Heck yeah!

Comment

Dang it man! What a stud! Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

WOW I would say so, very nice bull Congrats!!!

Comment

Congrats sir!

Comment

Sounds like an amazing hunt! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats, cool looking bull. Not built for high score but from the story he is a trophy.

Comment

Congrats on the bull and thanks for sharing!

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Well done!

Comment

That's awesome congrats

Comment

Congrats on a monster!

Comment

Great hunt

Comment

Working...