Trailer with mobile home axles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer with mobile home axles

A relative has a trailer he said I could have that had mobile home axles on it. I have heard bad things about them and was seeing what y’all think? If wanted to change to regular axles what would it cost? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Measure the trailer and look at tractor supply. You will need wheels and tires too

Comment

it won't cost too much to replace them, just look at any place that sells boat trailer axles and such.

I did a 3 axle boat trailer a few years ago and it cost me about a grand, and that was with axles, springs, hangers, and brakes.

Comment

? What bad things have you heard about mobile home axles? I have never heard anything negative, but I would think they will be very wide.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          ? What bad things have you heard about mobile home axles? I have never heard anything negative, but I would think they will be very wide.

Something about the hubs spinning off and that they are only made for temporary use. Also heard cannot get registered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have had a home made 16' pipe top trailer with dual trailer axles for 25 years...

Never any problems, 5000# axles....

Only issue is it takes 14.5" tires and wheels....I found 8 of them in Canton and bought them all...

Trailer for sale...$500

Comment

I have a gooseneck with trailer axles under it. Works fine.

Comment

I’ve had trailers with mobile home axles and they’ve never let me down. The wheels are meant to handle heavy loads and are fine for high speed interstate travel. We’ve had some tires last well over 20 years... yes 20. You’ll have a hard time finding tires at Discount Tire Company or NTB in stock, but they’ll order them. This trailer has been in heavy use as a construction trailer, a BBQ trailer, and lastly my farm trailer (until it was stolen).
                Attached Files

Comment

Sometimes the mobile home tires ride really bad with an empty trailer. Also, be careful when taking the wheel off. Always heard Those wedges can fly off if the bolt is removed and it’s in a bind, and hurt people. If you change a tire, losen the bolts, then hit the wedges with a hammer and make sure they aren’t in a bind. When mounting tighten evenly or it’ll bounce going down the road

Comment

The tires are usually only 2 ply. Older axles are fine but the quit putting flats for the bearings to sit on and just tapered the whole spindle and the bearing are just jammed against the taper. Charley McLemore that owns Magnum Trailer told me that trailer house axles are designed to make 3 trips, from the manufacturer to the dealer, dealer to purchaser and back to the dealer when repo'ed.

Comment

Working...
                    X