School me on owning Black bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on owning Black bucks

Like it says...what do I need to know about raising and caring for black buck. Looking to get a few as pets for now.

I'm on 50 acres, low fence, mostly pasture and shade trees, 1 bull, 5 momma cows, 2 calfs, 4 horses, 1 mini donkey. Good grass. Tank.

They're tasty and go good over an open flame.

But that isn't much help on raising them... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They like grass. Regular net wire fence will keep them in. Don't like really cold for extended periods. Their lives matter....

Comment

They can over-populate quickly if you do not keep the numbers down. 7-10 head can eat what one cow will eat for grass. Under pressure they can jump a 48" net wire fence if they have to. Most won't. They are grazers and will eat good coastal hay in the winter months. Coyotes love them.

Comment

Net fence a must? I run 5 strand barb

Comment

Originally posted by J-Carp View Post
            They're pretty much like goats, just with different horns.

Comment

Barbwire won't keep them in. The old saying for sheep and goats that I once heard that rang pretty true, "if water can get through it, so can a goat...". Net wire 99% of the time will hold them in unless pressured....

Comment

Your neighbors will love you for stocking their land with blackbucks.

Comment

A place just down the county road from us HAD a good sized herd.They used net wire.Every ranch in the surrounding area now have Black Buck.

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
                    Your neighbors will love you for stocking their land with blackbucks.
                    Still waiting on our neighbor's fence to wash out one of these days.

Comment

Take pictures when they get let out of the trailer - first thing they'll do is walk the fence looking for a way out....

Comment

Can they cross cattle guards?

Comment

Are there any exotics that I can keep in with 5 strand?

Comment

Can they cross cattle guards?
                            Yes when I was baling hay in a 9 acre trap I had a young male blackbuck jump a 48" netwire fence(3 tries but he made it) hit the ground and make 2 jumps then jump a cattle guard out into the main ranch. He was back later the next day and jumped the same cattle guard back in.

Comment

Are there any exotics that I can keep in with 5 strand?
                              I have seen Scimitar Horned Oryx that were kept behind a barbwire fence, but I would not try it unless I bought them from a place were they were behind a 5 wire fence.

Comment

Working...
                              X