Galveston Surf Fishing Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galveston Surf Fishing Help

I am struggling to understand when to go surf fishing for trout. I have success when the water is pretty green and the waves are not hammering me. Is there a trick to anticipating great surf conditions? Is it all about the wind? What about the tides? I am thinking about Friday am but hate to drive all that way and get hammered by big waves and brown water. Thanks for any advice.

If the surf is dirty, you can always head to West Bay, Christmas Bay, SLP, etc.

Comment

swellinfo.com and magicseaweed.com do a decent job of predicting wave heights but they arent always 100% accurate

Wind direction and strength is a big factor is water clarity. Moving tide, either out or in, generally produces a better bite than the lull between tides.

Comment

I added the swellinfo app to my phone. Friday looks to be flat. Not sure about color but I like flat!

Comment

Keep an eye on Galveston surf cam the day before, give you an idea of the clarity the day before so you can better judge what the next day may bring based on forecasted wind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Swellinfo, saltwater recon, and the ability to take off during the week and short notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
              I added the swellinfo app to my phone. Friday looks to be flat. Not sure about color but I like flat!
              Swellinfo can also be tricky and misleading. Use it in conjunction with surf cams, salt water recon has live surf cams. Look at the wind also. If it's calling for anything over 10, it's not going to be flat.

Comment

Buoys...you can click on the yellow squares to move around.

National Data Buoy Center - Recent observations from station SBPT2 (29.728N 93.870W) - 8770570 - Sabine Pass North, TX.

Comment

here is a good link. click through to find your area.

Comment

Look for light SE winds and high tide to bring the good water in. If you get a light wind with a northerly component it can be good, but, if you had anything but a SE wind prior to that, it'll be flat but muddy. Anything with a westerly component and just stay home. As stated above, always check the surfcam. You also have to fish the first couple of days after it clears. Starting the 3rd day, the fishing slows down considerably.

Comment

When I used to Wade the surf you have to watch the wind and the first day of green water seems to be the best day

Comment

If you decide to try SLP, be very careful and wear a PFD, but alot of good fish can be caught there

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                          Look for light SE winds and high tide to bring the good water in. If you get a light wind with a northerly component it can be good, but, if you had anything but a SE wind prior to that, it'll be flat but muddy. Anything with a westerly component and just stay home. As stated above, always check the surfcam. You also have to fish the first couple of days after it clears. Starting the 3rd day, the fishing slows down considerably.
                          This is what I was looking for. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

So Friday am is showing very light winds from the SE. Provided the surf looks pretty green Thursday afternoon, I think I will give it a try.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                              This is Spot On. I have been fishing the Galveston Surf for 40 years. I have driven an hour to the beach from my house when conditions were perfect. Only to find out the wind and surf went from SE at 2 mph to SW at 20.

Just go when you can because you can’t time the surf.

Last Summer I spent a week at Jamaica Beach. Choppy Brown Surf for 6 days. On day 7 as I was driving home it was “Green to the Beach”.

Comment

Working...
                              X