Hog Trap Gate/Trigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Trap Gate/Trigger

I am going to build a few round pens for hog traps and wanted to pick yalls brains on what you use or have had success with as the best gate/trigger system. Open to all ideas and feel free to post pictures if you have them. TIA
    Last edited by Apodz; 01-16-2018, 06:52 PM.

In

Comment

Following

Comment

Hog Trap Gate/Trigger

Spring loaded pin pull
        Step over trip wire
        When the back up it pulls the pin
        Spring compressed and yanks the guillotine pin

Comment

Rope/wire to top of trap door other end to stick/1/2 pipe. Pipe goes behind two pieces drove into the ground at an angle.

Pour corn over pipe in ground. Pig roots corn and trigger stick from behind ground pipe. Pig is trapped

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

This is my gate---I have a rope across the top about 3' above the doors with another rope and a wire hook on it to hold the center door open. Then there is a long rope from the hook to the back of the pen to a cross-rope about a foot off the ground. Pile of logs on top of a bucket of corn under the cross rope so that when they root the logs away they hit the rope which pulls the hook off the door and it falls. I only use the center door---used to have all 3 up but had way less success that way for some unknown reason. Most I've caught at one time is 16.

Comment

Just make the round pen a figure 6 and you don't need a gate.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Antlercollector I looked into those but since I live about an hour and a half away I will probably only be able to actually set the traps on weekends. With that C or figure 6 pen I wouldn’t be there to check them enough for them to freely trap themselves. I know they are a nuisance and they tear stuff up but I still want to put them out as quickly and humanly as possibly.

Comment

Originally posted by Apodz View Post
                  Thanks for the input. Antlercollector I looked into those but since I live about an hour and a half away I will probably only be able to actually set the traps on weekends. With that C or figure 6 pen I wouldn’t be there to check them enough for them to freely trap themselves. I know they are a nuisance and they tear stuff up but I still want to put them out as quickly and humanly as possibly.
                  Just tie it open when you are not there. Let the hogs come in and out. Then set trap when you come back.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    Rope/wire to top of trap door other end to stick/1/2 pipe. Pipe goes behind two pieces drove into the ground at an angle.

Pour corn over pipe in ground. Pig roots corn and trigger stick from behind ground pipe. Pig is trapped

I just built my first pen and I'm doing this as well. I believe they call it a "rootin' stick" online. Been thinking about trying the trip wire thing though...maybe a higher chance for trigger?

Comment

Yea that trigger wire is the only thing that worries me. All it takes is one hog to hit it and it’s over.

M16 and antler collector. Have y’all had problems with the pigs going in? Have you caught several hogs at one time with this set up?

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                        I just built my first pen and I'm doing this as well. I believe they call it a "rootin' stick" online. Been thinking about trying the trip wire thing though...maybe a higher chance for trigger?
                        In the traps I've been around it's has been the most maintenance free and easier to set/trip

Comment

Falling tire.

I hold the gate open tied to an upright tire. They push it over looking for corn. Deer will not. Falling tire trips the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                            Falling tire.

I hold the gate open tied to an upright tire. They push it over looking for corn. Deer will not. Falling tire trips the gate.
                            Diagrams would be helpful on all these triggers for the rednecktech impaired.

Comment

I know some of the folks over at wireless hog traps. If that’s what you’re looking for on me first and I’ll see if they can give a discount. Sounds like you need to set trap remotely being so far away. I’d like to do this in my place too.

Comment

Working...
                              X