No announcement yet.

Age this one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appeciate all y'all, but that fella is 2.5 all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
      5.5 y/o for a comparison. Let's play "spot the differences"... As mentioned, I have 3 years of history with this buck. Passed on him last year at 4.5, had him in my scope and shot a 10 point 5 minutes later.
      Agree that the OPs buck is not 5 (personally I think it's a 3 year old), but it'd make a better comparison if they were both hard-horned and in the same time period of the year. Looks like the pic of your buck is probably around pre-rut, so he's got that big old puffed up neck which will always make him look more mature. I bet if the OPs deer was photographed in the same time period, we'd see a lot more 4 year old guesses.

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
        Agree that the OPs buck is not 5 (personally I think it's a 3 year old), but it'd make a better comparison if they were both hard-horned and in the same time period of the year. Looks like the pic of your buck is probably around pre-rut, so he's got that big old puffed up neck which will always make him look more mature. I bet if the OPs deer was photographed in the same time period, we'd see a lot more 4 year old guesses.
        I'll see if I can find his velvet pics. He's probably on our survey. This picture was taken two weeks ago, we rut after Halloween and before TG. They lost their velvet right around the time this picture was taken.

His block body, square/block head and true gut have nothing to do with differences in timing, though.
        Last edited by HoustonHunter; 09-20-2017, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I'll see if I can find his velvet pics. He's probably on our survey. This picture was taken two weeks ago, we rut after Halloween and before TG.

His block body, square/block head and true gut have nothing to do with differences in timing, though.
          Agreed. I thought that was a picture from last year (looked more fall like in the background than early september). He's definitely not mature IMO, but I can maybe see him being 3.5 or even a slight chance 4.5 depending on the area he's in. That's a brute you've got though. That dude is stout.

I just wanted to illustrate that there are often differences in opinion once they get their fall/winter look vs. summer. I'd be curious to see a more recent pic of the OPs deer as we get closer to fall and the rut.

Comment

I just wanted to illustrate that there are often differences in opinion once they get their fall/winter look vs. summer. I'd be curious to see a more recent pic of the OPs deer as we get closer to fall and the rut.
            Totally agree.

The reason my pics look more fall'ish is because I was trying to load them from my phone at first but the resolution was too high so I played with the filter thinking that may help.
            Last edited by HoustonHunter; 09-20-2017, 07:31 PM.

Comment

I see a 3 at oldest. He has a little belly but the back leg is forward making it look bigger. Not flat bellied like a 2.

Comment

This is him at the end of July (the 22nd I believe). Not sure when the OP's pic was taken but I did find this photo from our survey.

This is the best pic I have of him in velvet.

Not trying to beat a dead horse on this, just hoping to show some comparisons to help with the discussion.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by HoustonHunter; 09-20-2017, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Known 5.5 year old- he's teeth were sent off for aging, not the best pic but looks nothing like the above buck posted of a 5.5 year old.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                    Known 5.5 year old- he's teeth were sent off for aging, not the best pic but looks nothing like the above buck posted of a 5.5 year old.
                    On the contrary I see similarities to my buck in the picture above (hoping you realize the second pic is the OPs) and the one you posted. It's a pretty terrible photo to try and make comparisons though.

We can argue until we are blue in the face but we can also agree to disagree.

Nonetheless, the OP said he's going to pass as they are looking at 4.5 or greater so....
                    Last edited by HoustonHunter; 09-20-2017, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Comment

I must need glasses, he looks 2.5 to me.
                        This!

Comment

Working...
                        X