No announcement yet.

My friend just took off for Everest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My buddies and I climbed to the top of Yegua Knobbs one night coon hunting. Treed a coon right on top.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
      Got a friend that is going too. Probably the same friend you have. Can't be that many going to climb everest.
      Approx. 800 people attempt to climb Everest each year and around 400 reach the summit ... success rate is roughly 50% in recent years. Between 5-10 die annually. Cost is $50,000 +/- a few thousand.

Comment

That’s awesome. In for some kind of an update

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
          Approx. 800 people attempt to climb Everest each year and around 400 reach the summit ... success rate is roughly 50% in recent years. Between 5-10 die annually. Cost is $50,000 +/- a few thousand.

Heard a guest speaker that climbed Everest and he said that his expedition group cost Over 100K. I guess it varies but thats a lot of money to freeze your tail off.

Comment

Totally forgot to update the post. He said the mountain is incredible, beyond words. He said he never understood how the people who lived in the region considered it a god, but after going he totally gets it. He did go to base camp, but the traffic on Everest has gotten so much that they have segregated the base camp area so that summit expeditions are kept separate from the general access area.

Apparently Kathmandu is a complete crap hole. He didn’t like it and didn’t explore it much. They visited several monasteries and went into the lowlands and also hiked through the jungle.

They had to smuggle BOOKS in certain areas, because they went into Tibet, which is controlled by China. Several of the tour guides and books they brought with them were forbidden in China, so they would stop before getting to a checkpoint and hide them.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
              I always wondered what they do with all the garbage that the event generates.

I believe most of it is hauled out especially with the commercial expeditions wanting the base camp to be presentable for clients.

Now, up on the mountain and higher camps could be a different story especially with empty oxygen bottles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                I always wondered what they do with all the garbage that the event generates.
                They leave the dead people so I bet there's a ton of trash up there...

Comment

Originally posted by txgb View Post
                  I believe most of it is hauled out especially with the commercial expeditions wanting the base camp to be presentable for clients.

Now, up on the mountain and higher camps could be a different story especially with empty oxygen bottles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Base camp is covered in feces and the upper mountain is covered in trash and bodies. Everry couple of years they do a big cleanup but there is only so much you cam do. There are bodies that you literally step over on the way up. Cost is much cheaper than several years ago but it is an absolute circus. The time to climb it was before into thin air. Huge difference between climbing Everest and walking to base camp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                    Totally forgot to update the post. He said the mountain is incredible, beyond words. He said he never understood how the people who lived in the region considered it a god, but after going he totally gets it. He did go to base camp, but the traffic on Everest has gotten so much that they have segregated the base camp area so that summit expeditions are kept separate from the general access area.

Apparently Kathmandu is a complete crap hole. He didn’t like it and didn’t explore it much. They visited several monasteries and went into the lowlands and also hiked through the jungle.

They had to smuggle BOOKS in certain areas, because they went into Tibet, which is controlled by China. Several of the tour guides and books they brought with them were forbidden in China, so they would stop before getting to a checkpoint and hide them.
                    Thx for the update! Glad to hear he and the team made it back safely. I keep Global Rescue but thank goodness have never needed them. Just 75 miles from home and it can be used...…….perfect for the deer lease!
                    Our SCI Chapter President had his live saved by Global Rescue!!!!
                    Scott Garrett was traveling on safari in Africa when he contracted an airborne bacteria that attacked his lungs. A few days later, his life was in danger thousands…

Comment

My daddy told me not to get any lower than diggin taters and no higher than pickin corn

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                        I have no desire to risk my life climbing a frozen mountain

But I appreciate the will and determination of those that do

Good luck and safe travels to your friend
                        Exactly, X2

Comment

Was it Mark Johnson? (Chunky on TBH). He was doing the same thing.

Comment

one of the most famous gravesites ... Green Boots

Comment

It wasn’t me, but I just returned from a month in Nepal. 19 hiking days, covered about 160 miles, made it to Everest Base Camp and climbed Kala Patthar. My total cost for the month, guided, air, gear and all... was about 4500. You can do a trek half as long and for half the price and still do EBC and KP.

Comment

When they get the ski lift installed I might think about it.
                                Last edited by BrianL; 06-14-2018, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X