TRAPPING SEASON Thread 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Btoutdoors View Post
    Well I didn't do great at the NAFA sale. I had 12 cats and 9 sold for an average of $67.22 before commission. I had 12 greys and 4 sold for a $21.50 average before commission.
    Man that kinda sucks but better then nothing.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Btoutdoors View Post

Well I didn't do great at the NAFA sale. I had 12 cats and 9 sold for an average of $67.22 before commission. I had 12 greys and 4 sold for a $21.50 average before commission.
      Sorry to hear that BT.

That won’t buy many summertime fishing trips.

It sounds like NAFA is the only one making money in the trapping game.

Hopefully those West Texas cats will bounce back next season.

Comment

Bringing this back to the top.

Has anyone started trapping yet?

I'm wanting to give it a try on our deer lease and was wondering if I should get the 4 coil or 2 coil MB 550 traps? And is it necessary to prep the traps in any way? Like wax or dye? Intended target is coyotes.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
          That's why us "not quite so dedicated guys" invented fence snares.😜
          What do you use and how do you set up your fence snares?

I want to get in to trapping mainly for predator control, but I don't know ****. I have a spot where they go under the fence that I saw a big coyote track in a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
            What do you use and how do you set up your fence snares?

I want to get in to trapping mainly for predator control, but I don't know ****. I have a spot where they go under the fence that I saw a big coyote track in a couple of weeks ago.
            I use 3/16ths 7x7 aircraft cable snares 36” long and usually a 3 to 4’ extension anchored to brush near the fence. I stopped anchoring to the fence years ago, saved me from having to repair fence whenever I get a less than perfect catch on coyotes. About a four inch loop with about 2” above the ground.

Comment

My feeder is being overran by coons. Are traps effective on them and how/what would I go about doing that? Property has a nice creek too with lots of tracks by it.

Comment

On your hole sets, do you put the bait in the bottom of the hole, then a layer of dirt and then the trap on top?

Also if not digging a hole do you try to put the bait on the back side of the trap. We used to dig out a small hole under the trap for bait. That was for coons. Does it work for coyotes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone been doing any trapping? I set out my (6) traps the last 2 weekends and caught (3) coyotes and (1) coon. Not bad for setting them Friday afternoon and picking them up Sunday morning. That was only my 2nd and 3rd time to set them out. Been putting them close to water troughs since it has been really dry at our place.

Comment

Still a bit early for fur trapping and all my predator control folks won't need me for a few more weeks so I'll wait until I can double up do one time effort, two chances to profit. Of course other than a few folks that need a skunk or possum to be removed from its new homestead under the house, or fetchin' supper out of the chicken coop.

Comment

Working...
                    X