F-250 - Rear Air Bags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F-250 - Rear Air Bags?

I need some schooling on air bags. I am contemplating putting them on my 2018 F250, and would prefer the on board compressor.

Yes, I do have a suspension leveling kit on the front (I know I would not have to do air bags if I didn't have this, but I like the stance of it).

I pull a trailer every other week or so, and a heavy load about 1 time per month. I just want something that I can level out the rear-end when traveling longer distances with a load.

Tell me the good, bad, ugly. I am mechanically inclined and can do most stuff myself. However, I don't have a problem letting someone else do it that is more experienced.

I dont think there is an ugly side to them. I have added them to all of my Fords. I have never had a problem with them. I never had the on-board compressor as I always had a gas air compressor on my truck. If I remember right you have to run a minimum amount of air pressure in them. I always used Firestone brand and never had a problem with them.

Comment

Just installed some Air Lift bags on my truck. Air lift has a model with an internal bounce jumper so you do not have to run a minimum amount of air in them. They are called the Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate. Their wireless air compressor is what a lot of people are using too.

Comment

I really need a set on my Dodge for the same reason you do. I had them on my last two Fords and they were great. The first set I had were the ones I had to air up myself and that was a major PITA. The next set I bought were Firestones and had the compressor system. The truck was leveled, and when the load was added they bought the truck back up to regular ride height that was accomplished with a magnetic level that rides above the rear axle. A really cool thing about the system is when you unhook and start jacking the trailer up, the bags automatically release air and you are off the trailer really quickly.

Comment

I have the AirLift 5000 Ultimate bags along with the onboard compressor and WirelessAir remote control on my 2017 F350. I did it because I haul a slide in truck camper.
          I love the convenience of not only the remote control inside the cab but also the ability to air up each side individually depending on my needs and situation.
          When I am running empty, I run the bags with 5 pounds of air in them but with the 5000 Ultimates, they have an internal jounce bumper inside the bag so realistically you do not need to have any air pressure in them. That being said, I run 5 lbs and I cannot tell any difference in the ride between the truck when it was stock and today with the airbag installed.
          For me personally, the airbag option works better for me than something like Timbrens, which do not have any adjustment to them at all.
          I will also say I have Torklift Intl upper Stableloads on my truck as well and what these are designed to do is engage the upper spring sooner when a heavy load in put on the rear end of the truck.
          With the bags and upper Stableloads, to me that is a really good solution.

Comment

I installed them on wifes 1/2 ton for when we pull the boat or a travel trailer. EASY to install myself.

I don't have on board compressor but a bike pump will put 15 pounds in each bag in about 10 pumps.

Improved the ride greatly and I'll continue to have them

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I have had airbags on the last few trucks I have owned. I really like being able to level out my truck when I have a heavy load.

I don't like the wireless ones, I have had one which wouldn't release the air pressure and just stopped working correctly. I prefer the analog gauges, much simpler and less to go wrong.

Comment

How much are the Firestones with compressor system?

Comment

Checkout Timbren springs then you won't have to worry about air.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                    I have the AirLift 5000 Ultimate bags along with the onboard compressor and WirelessAir remote control on my 2017 F350. I did it because I haul a slide in truck camper.
                    I love the convenience of not only the remote control inside the cab but also the ability to air up each side individually depending on my needs and situation.
                    When I am running empty, I run the bags with 5 pounds of air in them but with the 5000 Ultimates, they have an internal jounce bumper inside the bag so realistically you do not need to have any air pressure in them. That being said, I run 5 lbs and I cannot tell any difference in the ride between the truck when it was stock and today with the airbag installed.
                    For me personally, the airbag option works better for me than something like Timbrens, which do not have any adjustment to them at all.
                    I will also say I have Torklift Intl upper Stableloads on my truck as well and what these are designed to do is engage the upper spring sooner when a heavy load in put on the rear end of the truck.
                    With the bags and upper Stableloads, to me that is a really good solution.
                    This

Comment

I used to help a buddy of mine with a shop put them on a bunch of trucks but had too many beverages since then to remember what brand, but I was looking a while back and the guy at earl owens said to go with the firestone systems that the quality of the components was way better. He ssaid the main difference was the thickness and fit of the brackets was much better. no expert just going off what I was told by a large accessory shop and I actually think the other brand was more expensive so he could have made more money off of me if he wanted to

Comment

Since you do it often, the automatic compressor will probably be nice.
                        I have had Air Lift bags in the past and had no problems. The install was also pretty straightforward if you're inclined that way.
                        I only hauled heavy a few times a year, and always took bikes, so the bike pump was easy enough for me. 3-4 pumps per side and I mounted the valves where I could easily see and reach them standing at the rear bumper, so it was no problem.

Comment

I’ve been very pleased with them in the past. I’m planning on installing them on my ‘18 F250 soon. In my opinion, there isn’t a down side, other than the initial cost. There is an option for a wireless & hose-less controller for the on board compressor. It requires less hose connections which means less chance for leaks. I’m planning on going this route with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have any of you used the Torklift StableLoad lowers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the AirLift with on board compressor and analog controller in my truck. I really like them. I don't see a downside.

Comment

Working...
                              X