Butt Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
    Gutless still requires trimming around said area.
    About 4 seconds worth of it.

Cut the hide, pull down the tail and cut the connecting bone. Done.

Easy as pie.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurdawg View Post
      The scale at our place you can weigh them with guts, then on side has an estimated field dressed weight. So you can still go gutless.
      Might have to mention those at the next meeting. Not sure it will fly due to the level of accuracy they expect but sure would make it easier!

Still haven't figured out the reason for using the butt out tool though. Maybe its all in the way you clean your deer. Maybe I've been doing it wrong for 15+ years. What's the reason for removing the anus from the pelvis when you aren't keeping the pelvis (at least I don't). After removing the hips at the ball joint, I just trim what little meat remains off.

Only tools I've ever needed are a pair of shears to cut legs and spine and a good knife to clean a deer. I hang them from the neck and not the back legs. Never needed a bone saw. I have tried hanging them from the back legs with a gambrel, splitting the pelvis with a saw, etc. It was just more work and produced the same results.

Guess its all in how you are taught!

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
        About 4 seconds worth of it.

Cut the hide, pull down the tail and cut the connecting bone. Done.

Easy as pie.
        I dont know if pie is the appropriate word here, mabye "simple as s**t!" would be a better analogy.

Comment

Yeppers

Originally posted by gingib View Post
          Started 4 years ago and wont gut an animals again.

1. Skin it
          2. Cut off shoulders, Backstraps, and hind quarters.
          3. IF you want the tenderloins cut down a little, stick your hand in and cut them out.

No need to gut a deer as there isnt anymore meat you would get from this method.

Comment

Gutless all the way!

Comment

The reason I haven't gone "gutless" is all about timing. I was taught early on to get an animal gutted asap to make the meat better by bleeding them quickly and also to reduce body temp much quicker. When I shoot a deer, I will gut it before I even go retrieve the 4 wheeler to pick it up. Especially when you consider its usually 80+ degrees in this state during bowseason I would just be worried about leaving all that in for the 30-45 minutes it would take me just to get back to camp.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                Started 4 years ago and wont gut an animals again.

1. Skin it
                2. Cut off shoulders, Backstraps, and hind quarters.
                3. IF you want the tenderloins cut down a little, stick your hand in and cut them out.

No need to gut a deer as there isnt anymore meat you would get from this method.
                This is how I do it as well

Comment

I got one of these as a gift. Took longer to gut using it than not. I split one side of the pelvis and cut a deep V that gets the tail and bunghole all together. Cut the windpipe and the whole thing comes out clean in less than 5 minutes

Comment

Looks painful!

Comment

Great gift idea for the MIL....

Comment

Working...
                      X