Do you can any of your wild game meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    I just canned my first ever batch of venison - 12 pints and 1 quart. For the first batch, I didn't use any seasoning other than 1/2 tsp kosher salt. I followed the instructions for my canner (which seem pretty standard) 12 psi for 75 minutes. As much as I wanted to invest in an All American, I opted for the Presto 23 qt pressure canner for much lower cost.

I just pulled them out and they are cooling now. I'll let you know how it turns out when I give it a taste test in a day or two!
    Interesting. I've never seen anything about that, other than to leave untouched for 24 hours. Would that hold true even if I was consuming (or cooking with to consume) the entire jar within a day or two of opening?
    We can our meat the exact same way. Been doing it for 2 years now I think? Just per the same instructions (have the same canner.)

I have never heard the resting part either. We've opened it 24 hours later and so on.

I like the meat we've canned. I haven't tried gravy. Just raw meat and salt. It cooks while it cans in its own juices. I just mix up some brown gravy if I want gravy. It is pretty versatile. We make chipped venison and toast. Shredded it for tacos, etc.

I have canned hog, ram, axis, whitetail, and javelina. They have all turned out great.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
      So, do you cook it before you can it? I don't like boiled meat, but I think I could handle it sopped in gravy.
      Thought I had quoted this in my other reply...

I see some people cook it first, but that didn't make much sense to me since it cooks when you can it.... so you are just double cooking it?

When it is all said and done, honestly, it turns out like a "dry" roast. We trim the fat to keep the shelf life higher, so that is why it tastes a little "dry" but it is fork tender like a roast and you can "shred" it pretty easily. It isn't "dry" like boiled meat because it is cooked in its own juices, rather than in water, where the water picks up the flavor. I hope that makes sense. We use the meat as a base and add fat and seasoning to taste for whatever we are making (brown gravy... or taco seasoning... whatever.)

Comment

Interesting. I've never seen anything about that, other than to leave untouched for 24 hours. Would that hold true even if I was consuming (or cooking with to consume) the entire jar within a day or two of opening?

I’m not sure . Will do some research. I follow a few canning groups . Will ask them . I haven’t started canning meat yet .

Comment

Some people are saying two week to 30 days just to make sure there is no botulism

Comment

I tried it a few years ago just used salt and a few garlic cloves turned out good.one thing when reheating it remember its already cooked so just warm it up you don't want to cook it anymore. .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
              Some people are saying two week to 30 days just to make sure there is no botulism
              I thought (am pretty sure) botulism grows over time and only when there is no air (canned). Also was certain you couldn't smell or really check for it.

Basically waiting would increase the odds I would think.

You got a link?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Also, was pretty sure botulism is a concern for water bath (jams, etc) because it is not cooked or under high heat long enough... whereas you must pressure can meat... which is for long enough to kill off botulism.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

There is a meateater podcast where they talk about canning meat. I've been wanting to try it. My wife already cans salsa and pickles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't yet, but plan to for some of my stuff this year.

The Pressure is On: Preserving your Backcountry Bounty by Becca Moffat, Rokslide Prostaff For those of us fortunate enough to bring home an abundance of game meat and fish, full freezers are a good problem to have. Yet several summers ago when we were unexpectedly lucky dip-netting salmon, I found myself with nearly one hundred […]

Comment

Do you put liquid with the meat or fish?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                        I don't think you have to. From everything I've seen/read so far, they create their own juices. I don't think it would hurt anything if you did add something in there.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                          Originally posted by jmw View Post
                          I don't think you have to. From everything I've seen/read so far, they create their own juices. I don't think it would hurt anything if you did add something in there.
                          Nope, it makes its own liquid. Its not very attractive on the shelf but great when you're in a hurry. My kids love it mixed with garlic mashed potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by jmw View Post
                            I haven't added additional liquid to anything I've canned.

I canned a package of chicken thighs (I used boneless/skinless) a few weeks ago and I found pork butts for $1/lb and cut and canned one last week (yielded 8 pint jars). I've slowly been testing different quick meals using the canned meat.

Last week I made a quick curried chicken salad that we've been making for years - my girls love it for a light meal or snack. I normally simmer the thighs for 45 minutes, allow to cool, remove skin and debone and then put it all together in a big batch. It obviously takes quite a bit of time from start to finish. Just for kicks, I made it with my canned chicken thighs and it took just a few minutes to throw it all together in a bowl. It was fantastic!

Today I decided to make some quick and simple pulled pork tacos with the canned pork. I heated it on my Blackstone griddle with a little Goya Adobo seasoning, some cumin, salt and a touch of cayenne. I ate it on flour tortilla with just a little cheese, pico and salsa. It was tender, moist and tasty, and again it took less than 5 minutes to prepare from start to finish.

In both instances, I doubt anybody would be able to tell the finished product from the original method of boiling chicken thighs or cooking the pork in a crock pot (obviously it was a different than using butts cooked on a smoker).

I'm going to keep canning different meats, vegetables and some prepared meals and testing the results.
                            My Flickr Photos

Comment

I just canned my first ever batch of venison - 12 pints and 1 quart. For the first batch, I didn't use any seasoning other than 1/2 tsp kosher salt. I followed the instructions for my canner (which seem pretty standard) 12 psi for 75 minutes. As much as I wanted to invest in an All American, I opted for the Presto 23 qt pressure canner for much lower cost.

I just pulled them out and they are cooling now. I'll let you know how it turns out when I give it a taste test in a day or two!

What did the presto 23q set you back ? I’m needing to get one

Comment

I think it was $80 or $85.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                                X