Do you can any of your wild game meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you can any of your wild game meat?

Growing up, I helped my mom can vegetables and homemade applesauce, but we never canned meat. If all goes well this season, I'd like to can some meat to have on hand in case we need it for whatever reason. It seems pretty simple from what I've seen on youtube so far. Is there a "best way" to can venison, wild hog, etc.? What all types of seasonings do you prefer to put in the jars? Is there a magic time and/or pressure to leave them in the cooker? I've seen anywhere from 45 minutes at 10 psi to 90 minutes at 15 psi. Does the brand of lids/jars matter much? Any other tips or tricks you have to pass along would be appreciated. Thanks.

Also, what size jars do you prefer to use?

Comment

I've always wanted to try canning meat, only canned salsa, veggies, jams and venison stock. I'll be following along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've got a friend that cans meat and says it's great. They only put salt in it until they are about to eat it. "Says it's to prevent any reactions from happening". I don't know if that is true or not. But I plan on trying it soon.

Comment

So, do you cook it before you can it? I don't like boiled meat, but I think I could handle it sopped in gravy.

Comment

You can brown it before hand, Called hot packing or cold pack it raw from what I understand

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
              So, do you cook it before you can it? I don't like boiled meat, but I think I could handle it sopped in gravy.

I watched a bunch of YouTube videos last night, and they all use the raw packing method because the high heat and pressure during the canning actually cooks the meat. My main question is whether or not there's a "secret formula" for the best tasting meat/safest way to do it.

Comment

I'm going to get in to meat canning. I raise rabbits and plan to can a lot of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                  I'm going to get in to meat canning. I raise rabbits and plan to can a lot of them.

That sounds like an awesome plan. Good luck!

Comment

I've tried it with just salt, with onions and salt, and hot peppers, onions and salt. Really can't taste a difference, so I just put a pinch of salt now, and add stuff when I warm it up to eat. Put over noodles, mashed potatoes or rice And it makes a quick meal. I raw pack mine in pint jars, make sure you pack it in tight and close to the top of the jar so it's covered in liquid after pressure canning. Doesn't look the best in jars, but it's pretty tasty

Comment

Had some canned moose once that came from Canada. It was in a brown gravy and it was delicious!

Comment

I just canned my first ever batch of venison - 12 pints and 1 quart. For the first batch, I didn't use any seasoning other than 1/2 tsp kosher salt. I followed the instructions for my canner (which seem pretty standard) 12 psi for 75 minutes. As much as I wanted to invest in an All American, I opted for the Presto 23 qt pressure canner for much lower cost.

I just pulled them out and they are cooling now. I'll let you know how it turns out when I give it a taste test in a day or two!
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                          I just canned my first ever batch of venison - 12 pints and 1 quart. For the first batch, I didn't use any seasoning other than 1/2 tsp kosher salt. I followed the instructions for my canner (which seem pretty standard) 12 psi for 75 minutes. As much as I wanted to invest in an All American, I opted for the Presto 23 qt pressure canner for much lower cost.

I just pulled them out and they are cooling now. I'll let you know how it turns out when I give it a taste test in a day or two!

If I remember right you are suppose to let them rest for a month or two to make sure they don’t spoil . Need to take the bands off also .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                            If I remember right you are suppose to let them rest for a month or two to make sure they don’t spoil . Need to take the bands off also .
                            Interesting. I've never seen anything about that, other than to leave untouched for 24 hours. Would that hold true even if I was consuming (or cooking with to consume) the entire jar within a day or two of opening?
                            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Following

Comment

Working...
                              X