Wiring a road feeder- Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring a road feeder- Question

Planning on using an old feeder motor that has a daylight sensor to build my own road feeder. Is there an easy way to wire it to a doorbell button, or maybe the truck wiring to be able to activate it from the truck?

Thanks!

First you have to take the photo electric eye out. If you connect the ground wire from the motor to ground and the hot lead (from the motor) to one side of your switch and a fused lead from the battery to the other side of your switch you will be able to run it from the switch. We use our horn as the switch for the feeder. Just add quick connects from the horn and then to the feeder and you can switch from horn to feeder.

Comment

Mines wired in to the brake lights so I plug in a 2 prong into the back then flip on the lights when I want to throw corn.

Like Huntinfool said, you need to get that photocell out of there.

Comment

If you did not want a permanent install Academy sell a switch that you just plug into you cigarette lighter. Universal 12v cigarette adapter I think is what it's called.

Comment

I'd just use the motor from the timer. Hard wire the motor to a 12v cigarette plug and put a momentary switch on the positive wire. You could mount the switch on a small project box (Radio Shack sells them) then plug it in and push the button to activate the motor.

Comment

I rigged mine up to a trailer light plug. Plug it in and hit the turn signal. The motor pulses off and on. You can switch the feeder between vehicles easily too.

Comment

I have mine wired like scotty. Just stick it in the reciever hitch and plug into the trailer light plug. The turn signal works well.

Comment

Less than 15 bucks at the auto parts store could have you set up to use the thing in any vehicle, front or back.

wire
                2 prong plugs
                switch
                12v plug

Comment

Put a two prong connector coming off of the motor and then buy the foreverlast swithch that Academy sells for $14 and some change. Have purchased three of them this year to replace two not so good controllers and one extra as a spare.
                  >E

Comment

I never understood the concept of hooking up the road feeder to the lights via the flat 4-pack connector for trailer lights. A lot of road feeder manufacturers do this nowadays. How many hunters corn on their way to their stand in the early morning hours while it's still dark? I always corn the roads where I'm sitting or on my way to the stands, and need the lights on to see the road in the early morning . . .

For me, I have built a cigarette light adapter, with a long cord and a thumb switch I can turn the feeder on will driving around the lease.

Originally posted by Stins View Post
                    Mines wired in to the brake lights so I plug in a 2 prong into the back then flip on the lights when I want to throw corn.

Like Huntinfool said, you need to get that photocell out of there.

Comment

Mine is wired so that it only runs when the left turn signal is on. Not when the lights are on. You only connect the turn signal connector to your feeder wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                        I rigged mine up to a trailer light plug. Plug it in and hit the turn signal. The motor pulses off and on. You can switch the feeder between vehicles easily too.
                        same thing just wire it to the running lights and turn them on when you want to feed

Comment

Aren't the running lights on when the headlights are on?

I'll order my next truck with fog lights just for this purpose.

Comment

My running lights are always on. That's why I wire it to the turn signal.

Comment

Turn signal wire is the way to go if you want to keep it portable then you don't have the issue of it coming on when you don't want to (unless you signal your turns on the ranch roads.)

On my Zuki - I wired in a permenant push-button switch on the dash, but mine is not designed to be portable.

Trailboss

Comment

Working...
                              X