Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 09-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #1
-HIC-
Ten Point

Hunt In: Willow City & Junction
Default Talk to me about 9mm or 45 conversion.

I am looking for a 9mm or .45 conversion kit for one of my ARs. Do any of you have experience with a particular kit? I would rather use one of my registered lowers so I dont have to worry about the stock, etc. but if a dedicated lower makes more sense I am fine with that. Would like a 5 or 7 inch barrel and I have a .45 suppressor that will be dedicated, so would like it under the handguard. I have heard some kits can be finicky with feeding, needs to be reliable. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
-HIC- is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2019, 05:27 PM   #2
roughneck266
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bustling metropolis of Votaw

Never used a conversion, but I can advise that you get one that uses glock mags. More reliable and way more available than the old ones did. Might try endomags too. Basically converted pmags. They would be ideal fornwhatbyou are doing, but I dont have any personal experience with them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
roughneck266 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2019, 09:53 PM   #3
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

go to Americanresistancegear.com and buy one micheal builds. you will not be sorry. look at the pit viper
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2019, 10:35 PM   #4
twostepct
Six Point

I built one off of a glock mag lower from palmetto state and I like it enough I’m building a second one. The upper is just the slick side “spotter” upper with no dust cover or forward assist. I’ve got a 4.5” barrel on it with a 5 or 6” hand guard that I can either fit my suppressor or a flash can under and the shockwave brace. I used a flat wire buffer spring along with a heavy buffer in it. Overall, I really enjoy it. I’m also going to try the EndoMag so I can use the upper on my registered lower.
twostepct is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2019, 10:45 PM   #5
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Researching a 9mm AR pistol build now.

I know I want Glock mags and lock back on empty and I have found not all uppers lock back.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2019, 01:08 AM   #6
-HIC-
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Researching a 9mm AR pistol build now.

I know I want Glock mags and lock back on empty and I have found not all uppers lock back.
I would want both of these items as well.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:09 AM   #7
-HIC-
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by twostepct View Post
I built one off of a glock mag lower from palmetto state and I like it enough Iím building a second one. The upper is just the slick side ďspotterĒ upper with no dust cover or forward assist. Iíve got a 4.5Ē barrel on it with a 5 or 6Ē hand guard that I can either fit my suppressor or a flash can under and the shockwave brace. I used a flat wire buffer spring along with a heavy buffer in it. Overall, I really enjoy it. Iím also going to try the EndoMag so I can use the upper on my registered lower.
Does this one lock on empty? If so, do you have part details?

Old 09-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #8
twostepct
Six Point

No, mine does not have the last round bolt hold open. Everything I’ve read about it (which honestly is not an exhaustive list) is that the function typically is not real reliable. Another purported problem is breaking bolt catches. After considering all of that I decided I didn’t think it was worth the possible problems to have it.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #9
Javelin
Pope & Young

mine locks open after the last round.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #10
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

I never could get into the kits & wanted something designed around the pistol cartridge...here's my 5"bbl CMMG Banshee in 45acp. They just came out with an 8" 10mm which is pretty spiffy. Haven't had a lot of trigger time but am liking the blowback design.
Attached Images

Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #11
twostepct
Six Point

Artos, is that the delayed blowback setup CMMG has? If so that’s supposed to be a pretty slick setup.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #12
Artos
Pope & Young

The Banshee comes in 3 series, the 100, 200 & 300 but think they all utilize the same blowback system...this on is the 300. I'm glad the 10mm came later as i would have been tempted, but I already have a lot of 45 ammo. I haven't had it that long but impressed so far.

If you are going to use a this as a primary defense firearm, then I would skip the kits. PSA makes a pretty darn nice one in 9mm that doesn't break the bank. Was hoping they would bring the 45 back, but then found out about the Banshee. It's a better gun & price tag proves it. Nothing wrong with the PSA 9 & have a buddy who says both his run great.

CMMG offers this gun in quite a few calibers.

Last edited by Artos; 09-15-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #13
twostepct
Six Point

Thank you for that explanation, I appreciate it.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:25 PM   #14
-HIC-
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
The Banshee comes in 3 series, the 100, 200 & 300 but think they all utilize the same blowback system...this on is the 300. I'm glad the 10mm came later as i would have been tempted, but I already have a lot of 45 ammo. I haven't had it that long but impressed so far.

If you are going to use a this as a primary defense firearm, then I would skip the kits. PSA makes a pretty darn nice one in 9mm that doesn't break the bank. Was hoping they would bring the 45 back, but then found out about the Banshee. It's a better gun & price tag proves it. Nothing wrong with the PSA 9 & have a buddy who says both his run great.

CMMG offers this gun in quite a few calibers.
I will check out the CMMG. Good stuff!

Old 09-15-2019, 06:19 PM   #15
Javelin
Pope & Young

here are a couple of american resistance 9mm. the one with the pig is mine. american resistance has a patented last round bolt hold open built into their lowers

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Javelin; 09-15-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #16
-HIC-
Ten Point

That last one looks real nice as well! I got into a youtube hole last night checking out the CMMG. I like everything except the price, but looking around it seems you can find them for 1299 on some sites, that is not as bad as the 1500 msrp!

I was reading some people having feeding issues with the extended .45 mags. The same sites indicate the factory glock 33 round 9mm mags run fine. Have you had any issues? I am not familiar with either the extended 9mm or .45 mags.

I love the idea of the 10mm but will have to look at mag options, and it looks like 75-100 bux more per 1000 rounds to feed it.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #17
-HIC-
Ten Point

Quote:
I never could get into the kits & wanted something designed around the pistol cartridge...here's my 5"bbl CMMG Banshee in 45acp. They just came out with an 8" 10mm which is pretty spiffy. Haven't had a lot of trigger time but am liking the blowback design.
How is your Octane working on this setup? I had been disappointed with that purchase so hoping it will be a pleasing tone on this type of setup! I do not think mine has left the safe in 4 years or so.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #18
-HIC-
Ten Point

Allright, I have been looking at the 10mm all day and I am just about to pull the trigger on one..

I know it is a touch longer and the ammo is a bit more. I will use my Octane .45 on this and thinking with the 10mm it would be better for hogs..

Thoughts???
Old 09-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #19
Artos
Pope & Young

Absolutely...the extra bbl length helps on top of being a 10mm too!! That is one neat rig!!

Sorry I missed the can question but am not impressed with the Octane but have nothing to compare it to hic so may not be fair. I have a threaded FNX & now this & still seems pretty loud & never shot any others. My hearing is really so bad already I wouldn't even agree to be a judge. Lost over 50% in one from a busted ear drum & really bad ringing from not using protection starting as a kid while bird hunting.

I'm guessing it will be a little louder with the 10 vs 45 but who cares...that 10 is spiffy!!

What color did you decide?? I went with a dark grey & really like how it came out.

https://www.cmmginc.com/product/pist...300-mk10-10mm/

Last edited by Artos; 09-16-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:54 PM   #20
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

I have a 10mm DI short barreled AR and itís finicky. The gas system is so short that it runs good with the can attached but not without if I donít change the buffer.

Iím trying to resist the Banshee in 10mm but I think it will be a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 08:27 PM   #21
-HIC-
Ten Point

I will just be plain and get black. Anyone know if you can run 40 s&w in the cmmg 10mm like you can in a glock?

Old 09-16-2019, 10:15 PM   #22
Artos
Pope & Young

Just contact cmmg...they are great.

My guess is a bbl swap but do they have an 8" 40??
Old 09-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #23
-HIC-
Ten Point

Quote:
Just contact cmmg...they are great.

My guess is a bbl swap but do they have an 8" 40??
I will call them today to ask. I am sure the 'official' answer will be no. However, I know alot of guys that shoot 40 in the larger frame glock 20 10mm without issue. Everything is the same except the 40 is shorter, I guess it will depend on how the round headspaces in the CMMG.

You guys have made this an expensive week!! I ordered the Banshee 300 10mm this morning. I just ordered a three lug mount and muzzle device for the suppressor. Now I need some extra mags, a better trigger and another optic.

And ammo, lots of ammo!
Old 09-17-2019, 12:33 PM   #24
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HIC- View Post
I will call them today to ask. I am sure the 'official' answer will be no. However, I know alot of guys that shoot 40 in the larger frame glock 20 10mm without issue. Everything is the same except the 40 is shorter, I guess it will depend on how the round headspaces in the CMMG.

You guys have made this an expensive week!! I ordered the Banshee 300 10mm this morning. I just ordered a three lug mount and muzzle device for the suppressor. Now I need some extra mags, a better trigger and another optic.

And ammo, lots of ammo!

Lol.

If you donít love it you can sell it to me for a hugely discounted price!

Old 09-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #25
-HIC-
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Lol.

I hope to love it! I can't keep a gun that I don't like to shoot so you will know.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #26
-HIC-
Ten Point

Quote:
Lol.

I started this thread thinking I could get a kit for one of my existing AR's for 5-600 and ended up with way too many Youtube videos, changing choice of caliber and spending way more. At least I can tell my wife I had to buy something since Beto is coming for my 15's!
Old 09-17-2019, 09:25 PM   #27
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
I started this thread thinking I could get a kit for one of my existing AR's for 5-600 and ended up with way too many Youtube videos, changing choice of caliber and spending way more. At least I can tell my wife I had to buy something since Beto is coming for my 15's!

Amen. I think youíll like it. I love my 10mm AR when it runs right.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:22 PM   #28
Artos
Pope & Young

I'm sorry...I've been blessed/cursed with the ability to make other people spend their money on crap they really want but don't need. It's a salesman disease & I'm looking for work. If you like the product the rest is easy.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #29
-HIC-
Ten Point

Lol, when I posted this thread I knew I was about to spend money, just not sure how much.

I am glad I got all the opinions and went with a caliber I was not even considering!

I have the Geissele trigger on order, 4 mags, 1k rounds of ammo (500 ball, 500 hollow points, both are listed at over 1250 fps) another Romeo optic, and the 3 lug setup for the pistol and the short adaptor for my Octane. I have SSA-E in all my AR's so I was thinking I would just want the same feel regardless of platform. Now that I have had some time to think on it I am leaning toward buying a triggertech AR drop in and seeing what I like better and sending the other back. Anyone have any trigger time with the TriggerTech in an AR? I have moved to TT from Jewell in all of my bolt guns and I am loving the TT stuff.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:39 AM   #30
-HIC-
Ten Point

Parts are coming in.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:40 AM   #31
-HIC-
Ten Point

Quote:
Parts are coming in.
Gun, from purchase to transfer 2 days.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:49 AM   #32
Mike D
Pope & Young

Very nice.

On the trigger if you are used to the SSA E then I would go back with that. I have the SD3 gun in 10mm AR. Itís a super fast trigger.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #33
-HIC-
Ten Point

Quote:
Very nice.

On the trigger if you are used to the SSA E then I would go back with that. I have the SD3 gun in 10mm AR. Itís a super fast trigger.

I am glad I ordered the SSA/E, the trigger in this gun is trash!
Old 09-20-2019, 08:12 PM   #34
-HIC-
Ten Point

First impressions, the power factor insert says I need the 59 oz buffer.. not included, 60 bux on the site. I ordered the buffer and am about to change the trigger. To my untrained finger it feels like 8 pounds, but without the grit of a mil-spec. The fit and finish is very nice. I believe for this price the trigger should be good and all buffers included. More to come after I shoot it.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:10 PM   #35
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
First impressions, the power factor insert says I need the 59 oz buffer.. not included, 60 bux on the site. I ordered the buffer and am about to change the trigger. To my untrained finger it feels like 8 pounds, but without the grit of a mil-spec. The fit and finish is very nice. I believe for this price the trigger should be good and all buffers included. More to come after I shoot it.

Iím gonna guess 59oz is a typo on the buffer. I run a 9oz in mine but itís a gas gun and I run it suppressed.

They didnít send the proper buffer to run properly out of the box?

Old 09-20-2019, 11:47 PM   #36
-HIC-
Ten Point

I'll have to double check on the buffer. They included a sheet that had grainXfps/1k. And then had three buffer weights. For 1250 10mm it put all of them over the weights they sent.

Trigger, stock and after upgrade. Keep in mind, after upgrade the reset and second stage is about 1lb.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:55 PM   #37
-HIC-
Ten Point

Quote:
Iím gonna guess 59oz is a typo on the buffer. I run a 9oz in mine but itís a gas gun and I run it suppressed.

They didnít send the proper buffer to run properly out of the box?

You are right, the one they did not include is 8 oz. And that is the one their sheet says I need for anything over 230 power factor. So basically any 10mm round over 1250fps.