Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The culling debate - read this

Pretty good source I would say and spot on in my opinion

White-tailed deer management and the culling of bucks often go hand-in-hand. To attempt to improve the buck segment of any deer herd, some type of culling must take place on an annual basis. Each fall, hunters email me photos and ask, "Is this deer a cull buck?" It's a simple enough question, but the answer depends on the quality

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
      Should be no popcorn - the article is spot on - we have lived and breathed it with great results - really just common sense

Comment

It's yo' thang, do whatcha wanna do
        I can't tell you, who to sock it to !

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
          Pretty good source I would say and spot on in my opinion

http://www.buckmanager.com/2009/08/2...itetail-bucks/
          Heh... No.

Comment

Ya, no. Adhere to the logic in that article and most of y'all would end up killing almost all of your bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              It's yo' thang, do whatcha wanna do
              I can't tell you, who to sock it to !
              Love that song

Comment

Unless you are high fenced pretty much disagree however, keeping doe buck ratio in check , supplemental feeding and letting bucks age I know will improve the deer herd.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                  Unless you are high fenced pretty much disagree however, keeping doe buck ratio in check , supplemental feeding and letting bucks age I know will improve the deer herd.
                  Agree 100%

Comment

I see no merit in the culling of any buck less than 4.5 years old

Comment

Is it possible to cull free ranging whitetails to get a specific trait or to decrease a specific trait? Personally I don't think so, simply because the same traits are carried by bucks and does alike.
                      It may be probable to do that to high fenced herd.
                      Herd reduction? I never looked at that as "culling" but I guess it is a type of culling.

Comment

Nowhere did I see any references to studies that support the theories talked about much less who wrote the article.
                        I need science!

Comment

Originally posted by Texifornia View Post
                          Nowhere did I see any references to studies that support the theories talked about much less who wrote the article.
                          I need science!
                          Ditto

Comment

From the article.

Culling is best prescribed when there are too many deer for the habitat, otherwise there is no need to remove anything. It takes a long time to skew the genetic composition of a free-ranging deer herd and, depending on the size of the property, may not be possible.
                            Seems like shooting doe would do a lot more to control deer population. The article was lacking in evidence that culling would improve antler quality. My 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by LHPanther View Post
                              Ya, no. Adhere to the logic in that article and most of y'all would end up killing almost all of your bucks.
                              This.

Comment

Working...
                              X