Let em' walk!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let em' walk!

One of my favorite things about whitetail is seeing what their antlers turn in to when they hit maturity. They don't always blow up but when they do it sure is a reward.

The first picture is a buck I almost shot in 2010. A branch was hanging across his vitals so I did not get a shot. After getting more pictures of him and sharing them with a couple of buddies they advised me that he was 4.5yr and if I could stand it let him walk. So I decided that is what I would do. The only way I could do that is not hunt in that area at all. I knew if he walked in I would have smoked him. He would have been my biggest buck yet.

In 2011 I could not believe what he turned in to. He gained around 20" but his character completely changed. He went from a typical 10 pt to 15 points. By the time I finally got him on the ground he had broken off one kicker. This is my best success story for Letting em' walk!
    Attached Files

Good stuff!

Comment

Great buck!

Comment

This is another buck that blew up the same year but did not have the same ending. This buck showed up at my spot and hung around for three days. The day after I pulled my camera card and saw him, I got a picture sent to me of him dead. My last picture of him was at 10:30am. At 6:30am the next day he got ran over. He was 3 miles as the crow flies from my stand when he got ran over. I was told he scored around 180.

The first picture was him in 2010.
        Attached Files

Comment

Yep we had a buck go from a 9 at 4.5 to a 16 at 5.5. Made a believer out of me

Comment

Nice

Comment

Great deer, congrats

Comment

thanks for sharing!

Comment

Nice buck are the half mule deer .................................jk congrats on one heck of a deer

Comment

Nice deer

Comment

That's a stud for sure thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by rconn View Post
                        Yep we had a buck go from a 9 at 4.5 to a 16 at 5.5. Made a believer out of me
                        Do you have any pictures you can share?

Comment

Nothing more important than letting them grow! It's the on aspect of management that's easiest to do!

Comment

I sure hope more folks read this thread and understand the importance of letting bucks get OLD. I see more and more threads with guys chomping at the bit to kill really young bucks. The drive to "KILL" gets in the way of true management. Growing them big is fun to do, Glad you posted up your successes.

Comment

Great pics. One thing to say it, another to show proof of it

Comment

Working...
                              X