Acorns/Cold front?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acorns/Cold front?

Will this freeze make all the acorns go bad? They are killing me this year! I haven't seen this many acorns ever, my entire property is blanketed with them
    Attached Files

Nope, Hunt 'em if you got 'em.

I'll be sitting on acorns tomorrow. Trail cam says that's the place to be right now.

Comment

Hunt the acorns hard and hunt mid morning through 2pm, come in grab a bit and head right back out. Long day, but what would you rather be doing?

Comment

Really?!? Dang! It's hard to hunt them BC the entire place is covered in them lol

Comment

Do some scouting. Find their travel path. Set up with your shooting lane on that trail and you will have you a deer.

Comment

Found some cow oak that looked like pigs had hit it. Acorns the size of golf balls. My right front wheel bearing on my Grizzly went out and I can't get back to it till Saturday. I put a camera on it, we will see what I missed. My cameras only have night pictures.

Comment

Nope. White Oak acorns may start to rot to some degree after all this rain, but Red Oak acorns have staying power and tend to not rot as quick. If you cam find a tree still dropping them, hunt there, they will come.

Comment

Originally posted by bulltx50 View Post
                Hunt the acorns hard and hunt mid morning through 2pm, come in grab a bit and head right back out. Long day, but what would you rather be doing?
                I love it when people suggest this. I have 320 ac, of which 319 is covered in oaks. Where do you suggest I hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                  I love it when people suggest this. I have 320 ac, of which 319 is covered in oaks. Where do you suggest I hunt?
                  Put the odds in your favor, pick a few trees that are to your advantage to hunt and fertilize them or plant tree spikes, I promise the deer will eat/use those over all others.

Comment

They got to bed somewhere. Use terrain to funnel and just general scouting. It's by far slower and not a guarantee.... But if they ain't hitting feeders, and you ain't seeing deer anyway... Worth an attempt

I hunt 160,000 acres.... And 160,000 acres is covered in acorns. I know they can be/ go anywhere. Hunt hard and be confident in your decision and let the deer do what they do

Comment

Next year, fertilize a couple of trees. Better acorns mean tasty acorns.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                        Nope. White Oak acorns may start to rot to some degree after all this rain, but Red Oak acorns have staying power and tend to not rot as quick. If you cam find a tree still dropping them, hunt there, they will come.
                        how can i tell which is which? i honestly had thousands of pictures a week all summer long of deer at the feeders and now i haven't seen a deer weeks. I have pics but i have seven pics in the last 7 days where during the summer I would of had 900-1200

Comment

You need some rain to rot them. Best bet right now is to hunt trails on all day sits overlooking acorns.

Comment

I'm with you. I did LOTS of scouting and walking several days ago and everywhere I went I was stepping on acorns. No way to pattern deer on 400 acres of acorns. I've tried moving cameras from tree to tree but am having no luck because they don't return to the same spot to eat. They just stand up and eat wherever they are. Good for the deer but dang it's frustrating.

Comment

These are the years that speedster hunters from corn pile am ushers. Yes, I put corn out too.

Comment

Working...
                              X