Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoneman View Post
    Have they helped you alot?
    I would say yes they have. Have more in there than I have contributed and much better than a CD or typical savings account. Getting to the point where your money works for you is pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by trash2 View Post
      2 years investing and talking about holding too long is where you're going terribly wrong.
      X2

Comment

If you’re buying quality companies then there is no such thing as holding too long. If you are trying to day trade or trade on speculation then you are basically gambling.
        What are you looking for on a company’s balance sheet to make your decisions?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
          If trading were easy we would all be millionaires.

I bought Amazon at $80 and Apple at $42 and still hold those stocks. Unfortunately I was right out of college and didn’t buy enough.

I also bought bank stocks that went belly up.

Since then I’ve switched to more stable investments for real money and more risky for 401k. Time will tell.

Good luck in Wall Street Vegas. Hopefully trump doesn’t continue his crusade on tariffs.
          It’s crazy how much the market has gained with all the uncertainty around the global market. Before this week I was up about 19.5% for the year.

Comment

Let a professional do it.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
              It’s crazy how much the market has gained with all the uncertainty around the global market. Before this week I was up about 19.5% for the year.
              No kidding... I made $5k just this year off my meager investments.

Comment

You need to get into low expense ratio ETFs or a fund modeled after the S&P500.

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                  You need to get into low expense ratio ETFs or a fund modeled after the S&P500.

This. No reason to pay someone. These funds charge .25 percent or less and will beat 85% of all professional fund managers. Dollars cost average in on a regular basis for the long haul, don’t fret the swings and pray the Republicans stay in control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntvideo View Post
                    This. No reason to pay someone. These funds charge .25 percent or less and will beat 85% of all professional fund managers. Dollars cost average in on a regular basis for the long haul, don’t fret the swings and pray the Republicans stay in control.
                    I'm with this guy. I recently set my son up with his own Vanguard account and is basically doing just this. I personally have a financial advisory and my accounts are managed by them but, that was relatively recent to make sure things were in line for retirement and to get Wills, trusts and Power of Attorney in place. Before that, I did some individual stocks and did "alright" and I did mutual funds. It is so much easier these days to go with Vanguard or Fidelity.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                      I have found it is a lot easier to have someone with the knowledge manage my portfolio. Can I buy then Houston Astros? Do I have a lot more in there than I have contributed? Yes.
                      I agree with this and others...I retired 2 years ago an have more than when I retired....Fidelity manages it. I just don't have time or knowledge to manage it. I just draw a "paycheck" monthly my wife still works and has insurance (our largest single expense).

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Brown View Post
                        Hire a professional, like Edward jones type company. But do your research find someone that has your core values and is like minded or it will never work. You have to have some level of trust in the person your investing with.
                        This is spot on. You absolutely have to trust your advisor. Mine gets on me when I start watching the returns too much. He says I’m the worst type of investor..........because I wear him out on a down turn and seldom reach out to him on the upswings. Patience is a virtue!

If you are looking to get rich quick then long term investing is not for you. Those types of quick returns are shrouded in risks. If you have the time to do the research and the knowledge to purchase-sell at the right time then go for it. I work a full time job and don’t have the time or knowledge to day trade. Albeit I admit to not being a gambler when it comes to my $.

Comment

4 percent is not that bad actually. Cd’s don’t even pay that. There is a couple TBH members that are investment brokers and planners. Maybe hook up with one of them, but don’t expect it to be free advice. Like the other guys said get you a good planner that you can connect with. I honestly hate my Edward Jones rep, he wore me out calling me and trying to sell me investments.

Comment

I got quite a bit of municipal bonds that are paying 5 percent tax free. Some of my mutual funds are at 10 percent and some of them are low risk at 5 percent.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Brown View Post
                              Hire a professional, like Edward jones type company. But do your research find someone that has your core values and is like minded or it will never work. You have to have some level of trust in the person your investing with.

I use a TBH'r......that works for EJ. His handle is Gerald G6. Shoot him a PM. Let him know Jon B sent ya. It won't cost you anything to discuss strategy and you might find out that he can offer you some great options.

Comment

Our very own Burnadell is with Edward Jones out of Longview

Comment

Working...
                                X