Why the fascination with speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
    Every bowtech guy I’ve ever spoke with said their bow shot “320’ per second”.

The last time a guy asked me how fast my bow was shooting he was holding the bowtech realm or whatever last years flagship was. I asked him if his arrow was heavy enough to kill something that weighed over 200lbs and the himhawing began [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Killed a 300 lb boar two years ago with my RPM 360 shooting a light arrow at close to that 320. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

That guy sounds like a tool.
      I like having speed more for the fun of it than anything else. About the toughest critter I would need to shoot would be a massive pig or an aoudad. I’m shooting about 302fps with about a 420grain arrow. I haven’t had any issues with penetration or killing.
      I’ve even though about picking up one of the speed bows and making an extremely light arrow just to see what it would chrono at. It’s kind of like having a fast car, I don’t really need to go fast, but I like to.

Comment

If it feels good, do it. But you should know what your talking about if your gonna run your mouth. If not then shut up and learn. Some people latch onto FOC but couldn't give you a solid answer on why or what. Marketing works.

Comment

[QUOTE=txoutdoorsman24;14275838]

What total grain are you shooting?

Gold Tip Pierce at 497gr 17% foc

Comment

Why the fascination with speed

My Elite Pulse was so by gawd fast it would kill, gut, quarter and package the deer when I kilt it!! And if I added a Rage broadhead it would grind the rear quarters into burger!

Sweatergawd!

Comment

With me it isn't a case of "Maybe I'm just old" as I'm 73, but I'm just like you when it comes to speed. I always opt for quiet over speed. I shoot 525-gr arrows with cut-on-contact BHs out of my Elite Hunter -- 28" DL, 58# DW at 238 fps.

I have seen it over and over on TV hunting shows----arrow zips downrange, hits the target animal, penetrates 1/3-1/2 its length and animal runs off. Host says "we have a good blood trail but we are gonna wait until morning". Last half-dozen deer I've shot I've either seen or heard them crash---and they didn't have an arrow in them. It was left behind, most of them in the ground about where they were standing when they caught it.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                With me it isn't a case of "Maybe I'm just old" as I'm 73, but I'm just like you when it comes to speed. I always opt for quiet over speed. I shoot 525-gr arrows with cut-on-contact BHs out of my Elite Hunter -- 28" DL, 58# DW at 238 fps.

I have seen it over and over on TV hunting shows----arrow zips downrange, hits the target animal, penetrates 1/3-1/2 its length and animal runs off. Host says "we have a good blood trail but we are gonna wait until morning". Last half-dozen deer I've shot I've either seen or heard them crash---and they didn't have an arrow in them. It was left behind, most of them in the ground about where they were standing when they caught it.
                Today's bows are fast, smooth and quiet. Why not use what modern technology gives us?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post

I don’t normally get complete passthroughs on bigger animals but I still get great blood trails and, when I do my part, most things go down in sight. The past two years I’ve killed 15 deer and 2 pretty good size hogs with my bow and only 3 of them were “difficult” to find. Two of them were early season bucks that were way fatter than average. I didn’t get exits and the fat sealed up the entry. The third I just made a marginal shot and hit the deer high. But none of those made it 50 yards so really wasn’t too bad. The key is use a sharp broad head and put it in the right spot. A lot of folks think that ke / momentum / passthroughs or whatever they hang their hat on makes up for poor shot placement.

Sometimes the tv crew likes to wait until daylight to film a recovery. It makes for better video. So, if conditions allow, they will let an animal lay so they can shoot the recovery in good light. Not saying that’s always the case but they will do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Welcome to TBH..
                    I loled...

Comment

Working...
                    X