Anybody got diabetes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody got diabetes?

I was just diagnosed with diabetes and hypothyroidism. I go back to see the MD for a treatment plan on Monday. I guess years of treating my body like a tent instead of a temple have caught up with me plus I’m genetically disposed to it. I had an aunt who didn’t follow MD orders when she got it and was a legless and blind scarecrow in a wheelchair before her death so I’m terrified not to behave. Any advice or anything you can share with me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is hope for you for certain. My FIL was diagnosed about 10 years ago at around age 50, and was in the same boat as you. Once diagnosed he began walking and riding a bike daily and started a very low carb/starch diet. In less than 2 years he pretty much overcame what he thought was a death sentence and lives a health life. Stick with what the Dr. says and take care of yourself.

Comment

Only eat what's lean and green. Nothing yellow and nothing white. Get plenty of exercise and reduce stress levels. The disease is manageable and reversible!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckDogTrainer View Post
        Only eat what's lean and green. Nothing yellow and nothing white. Get plenty of exercise and reduce stress levels. The disease is manageable and reversible!
        Squash is yellow

Comment

It will kill you if you continue your poor diet

Comment

I have been managing it for 14 years. It is a daily battle and struggle. The medications made my weight go from 220 to close to 300. I have been battling to get it back down.

When your a1cs get low (good) you will be battling low blood sugar (bad). I woke up last night at 2 am with a blood sugar of 29.

This scares the crap out of me when it happens.

Comment

Check this out: https://www.dietdoctor.com/authors/dr-jason-fung-m-d

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                I have been managing it for 14 years. It is a daily battle and struggle. The medications made my weight go from 220 to close to 300. I have been battling to get it back down.

When your a1cs get low (good) you will be battling low blood sugar (bad). I woke up last night at 2 am with a blood sugar of 29.

You're right to be scared. Low blood sugars can be really bad if you get so low that you can't function. I've only been there once, but I was alone at the back of my place on a tractor. By the time I got back to my camphouse I was so goofy that I barely knew what I was doing. A fun-size Butterfinger got me out of that situation pretty quickly though.

My son had to go to the EM twice growing up (Type 1) but has since learned what to do and more importantly, what not to do, as in: Don't give yourself insulin, then do it again because it didn't work quickly enough to suit you ! Blood sugars drop through the bottom and you're in shock. Both incidents happened at night and thank God I woke up once and heard him croaking like a frog, and the other time my wife woke up. Scary indeed, especially when it happens to your kid.

The good news is, it is almost always completely controllable if you listen to your endocrinologist and do what he/she says to do. Good luck !

Comment

Sugars and carbs go as low as you can on both

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
                    Sugars and carbs go as low as you can on both
                    Cut them out completely (as much as humanly possible). The 1st 10 days will be bad. After that it gets easier. The weight will fall off dramatically. I lost 40 lbs in 2 months. The hardest part is finding stuff to eat with no sugar or carbs. You can do it. You will feel so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by GTRH8R View Post
                      I was just diagnosed with diabetes and hypothyroidism. I go back to see the MD for a treatment plan on Monday. I guess years of treating my body like a tent instead of a temple have caught up with me plus I’m genetically disposed to it. I had an aunt who didn’t follow MD orders when she got it and was a legless and blind scarecrow in a wheelchair before her death so I’m terrified not to behave. Any advice or anything you can share with me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Change to a KETO way of eating. I did and I am off my diabetes medicine. My sisters did also, and they are off diabetes and blood pressure medicine. Good luck

Comment

Go to a endocrinologist and a dietitian they will both help you more then just a normal doctor. Been a type 1 for more then 30 years the worst part for me is my body don't except insulin like a normal person does.

Good luck t you sir and as tough as it may get look at as a way to live a healthy and long life.

Remember check your blood at least 5 to 6 times a day.

Comment

Always check your sugar before you go to bed without fail and during the day at least 3 times. I like mine to be in the mid 150 range before I go to sleep. I’ve had it for 24 years. Giving yourself more insulin so you can eat sweets and foods with lots of carbs will put the weight on fast. Ask me how I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post

Dude...that's bad bad. Good thing you actually woke up...29 is borderline coma range. Watch that stuff brother. I bet you were loopy for awhile huh?

Comment

I totaled an f250 diesel truck about 12 years ago doing 100mph, it felt like I was doing 40 mph. Hit a telephone pole head on, the pole fell and landed on top of my truck. I locked my arms and bent the steering wheel over the dashboard and I wasn’t wearing a seat belt. Learned my lesson to check my sugars often.

Comment

Working...
                              X