Reminder to be careful camping in the cold weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminder to be careful camping in the cold weather

I looked and didn't see a post about this. I will apologize now if it has already been shared. Either way another reminder to be careful with your propane heaters while camping.

KTXS ABC Abilene and KTXE ABC San Angelo offer local and national news reporting, sports, and weather forecasts to viewers in central Texas, including Sweetwater, Winters, Ballinger, Cisco, Colorado City, Big Spring, and Grape Creek, Texas.

BROWN COUNTY, Texas - Update:*
    Brown County Sheriff Vance Hill said on Monday he's notified the victims' next of kin and plans to release their names on Tuesday.
    Previous:
    Three family members were found dead Saturday afternoon at a deer camp – on a large ranch -- between Brownwood and Bangs.
    Brown County Sheriff Vance Hill said the bodies were located about 1 p.m. inside a box trailer that had been converted into a cabin.
    Hill believes the victims died from carbon monoxide poisoning. He said the victims were using propane heaters to stay warm, but the cabin did not have proper ventilation.
    The victims, all males, range in age from early teens to late 60s. No names are being released “pending positive identification and notification of next of kin,” Hill said.
    A source told KTXS that two of the victim are from Temple. The third is a 69-year-old man from Lake Brownwood.
    The victims – who were on a hunting trip -- were last seen Thursday at 8:30 p.m., according to a source.
    The source also said the ranch manager found the bodies. The ranch is located on County Road 151
    “I want to caution everyone about this. Ventilation is necessary when using these types of heaters in confined places,” Hill said.
    “Carbon monoxide*detectors are very inexpensive to purchase. This is a very tragic loss. Our prayers are with family and friends.”

Been posted

Tragic deal

Comment

Horrible

Comment

Bad news for sure. It doesn't take very long at all for the fumes to build up to toxic levels, had the big jet heater going in the shop at work after about 15 minutes we had to vacate the premises even with a couple of windows partially open.

Comment

Is it safe to use Mr Buddy heater inside a 6 man tent? I'm talking about running one all night to keep the cold out

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            Is it safe to use Mr Buddy heater inside a 6 man tent? I'm talking about running one all night to keep the cold out

It need to have some ventilation..

Comment

Tent has good ventilation

Comment

I'm taking my daughter hunting in Christoval in two weeks and we are tent camping. I will make sure there is enough air getting in. Thanks guys.

Comment

Sad deal.

Prayers sent for the family

Comment

I'm taking my daughter hunting in Christoval in two weeks and we are tent camping. I will make sure there is enough air getting in. Thanks guys.

If you have bags that are rated low enough to be comfortable I would not run the heater. When I tent hunt in the cold I run the heater in the afternoon in short bursts to keep the tent warm enough to function and get dressed etc... but shut it off to sleep and then set an alarm 30 minutes before I want to get up. When that alarm goes off I kick the heater on and crawl back in the bag to let tent heat back up again to get dressed. Have done this with temps getting down into the teens several times up north. Just make sure your bags are rated 10-20 degrees lower than the temps you will be experiencing. I like a 10 degree bag for temps in 20-30s and a 0 degree bag for anything in the teens. Also wear loose socks and long johns to bed it will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I do it in an 8 man and vent a couple of windows and the door. Still gets plenty warm

Comment

I sleep comfortably in single-digit temps in my REI sleeping bag, without a heater. Sad deal. Completely avoidable deaths.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                          If you have bags that are rated low enough to be comfortable I would not run the heater. When I tent hunt in the cold I run the heater in the afternoon in short bursts to keep the tent warm enough to function and get dressed etc... but shut it off to sleep and then set an alarm 30 minutes before I want to get up. When that alarm goes off I kick the heater on and crawl back in the bag to let tent heat back up again to get dressed. Have done this with temps getting down into the teens several times up north. Just make sure your bags are rated 10-20 degrees lower than the temps you will be experiencing. I like a 10 degree bag for temps in 20-30s and a 0 degree bag for anything in the teens. Also wear loose socks and long johns to bed it will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          this right here

Comment

Just as important as a sleeping bag is the sleeping pad you use. Also less clothes, really just need good base layers. Long johns, hat, gloves and socks.

Comment

Such a shame. Same thing happened to some guys from Palestine several years ago that were camping in a horse trailer in Colorado.

Comment

Working...
                              X