Arms falling asleep!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arms falling asleep!

I’ve been dealing with my arms if they are bent for more than a few minutes or if they are raised above chest level. It’s causing me to wake up 5+ times a night completely numb and tingling from about biceps down... only way to sleep without an issue is on my back with arms by my side (uncomfortable as all get out) anyone dealt with something similar?

One of the guys I work with is havin same problem. Went to doctor doctor and has to have neck surgery. You may not have to do that but would get it checked out

Comment

You might want to get checked for a bulged neck disc they cause a lot of tingling and numbness in your arms when the problem is in your neck ?
      I had the same symptoms in my arms and a couple years later I got the bad pain from a pinched nerve in c6-7 might be worth a check from a neurologist

Comment

Also might go to chiropractor.

Comment

Here! Bought a new bed, helped a ton. Doc says neck surgery, however to suck it up for as long as I can.

Comment

Neck or lifting a lot, I get the same every night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the same issue... what does arm falling a sleep have to do with your neck? not that I do not believe you guys I just thought it was cus I was sleeping on hand or arm for to long???

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                I’ve been dealing with my arms if they are bent for more than a few minutes or if they are raised above chest level. It’s causing me to wake up 5+ times a night completely numb and tingling from about biceps down... only way to sleep without an issue is on my back with arms by my side (uncomfortable as all get out) anyone dealt with something similar?
                I'm currently dealing with something similar but not to that extent. Started in my left hand and pinky but slowly spread to half of my hand and radiating up into my arm/elbow. Complete numbness and tingling sensation as if I hit my funny bone really hard. It would flare up and subside but never go away completely. I couldn't pinpoint what activity was triggering the flare-ups. Like you, it would prevent me from sleeping.

After several weeks, I made a trip to the chiro. Turned out I have a compressed or "entrapped" nerve somewhere. Pretty common. From what I was told, the ulnar nerve is typically the culprit for hand tingling/numbness.

She asked if I sit at a desk for prolonged periods of time with my elbow rested on a hard surface. "yes. All day, every day. I use my right hand on my mouse so my left arm is usually resting on the desk." Also, I have a spot on my truck door that is worn from resting my elbow in the same spot all the time while driving.

Then asked if my chair was possibly too short for the desk, moving the pressure back a bit onto the fleshy, underside of the elbow rather than the point. "Yes. Just switched desk chairs a few weeks back for better back support and it's a bit shorter."

After a few weeks of stretching and being conscious of how I'm resting my arm, the sensation is all but gone. Sounds like what you're experiencing is a bit more severe but figured i'd share as I am currently dealing with this. Good luck finding a remedy, bud. Hope its something as simple as mine.

Cubital tunnel syndrome can cause an aching pain on the inside of your elbow. Most symptoms, however, occur in the hand. Numbness and tingling in the ring and little fingers are common symptoms of ulnar nerve entrapment. These symptoms may come and go.

-Tim
                Last edited by BlackHogDown; 03-29-2019, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTealHunter View Post
                  I have the same issue... what does arm falling a sleep have to do with your neck? not that I do not believe you guys I just thought it was cus I was sleeping on hand or arm for to long???
                  Pinches the nerves restricting blood flow is my guess

Comment

The nerves that run down your arms come out of small openings between your neck vertebrae then pressure on your nerves cause all kinds of weird things to happen and when it gets bad enough there is a ton of pain that doesn't go away

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                      I've had the same EXACT issue for the last couple of years. It get's old but I haven't done anything about it. I'm too stubborn and cheap to go to a doctor for anything so I'm curious what you find out LOL.

Comment

I'm not saying that is what is going on with you but it could be and if you catch it early changing habits and physical therapy can fix you without neck fusion surgery

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                          I'm currently dealing with something similar but not to that extent. Started in my left hand and pinky but slowly spread to half of my hand and radiating up into my arm/elbow. Complete numbness and tingling sensation as if I hit my funny bone really hard. It would flare up and subside but never go away completely. I couldn't pinpoint what activity was triggering the flare-ups. Like you, it would prevent me from sleeping.

After several weeks, I made a trip to the chiro. Turned out I have a compressed or "entrapped" nerve somewhere. Pretty common. From what I was told, the ulnar nerve is typically the culprit for hand tingling/numbness.

She asked if I sit at a desk for prolonged periods of time with my elbow rested on a hard surface. "yes. All day, every day. I use my right hand on my mouse so my left arm is usually resting on the desk." Also, I have a spot on my truck door that is worn from resting my elbow in the same spot all the time while driving.

Then asked if my chair was possibly too short for the desk, moving the pressure back a bit onto the fleshy, underside of the elbow rather than the point. "Yes. Just switched desk chairs a few weeks back for better back support and it's a bit shorter."

After a few weeks of stretching and being conscious of how I'm resting my arm, the sensation is all but gone. Sounds like what you're experiencing is a bit more severe but figured i'd share as I am currently dealing with this. Good luck finding a remedy, bud. Hope its something as simple as mine.

Cubital tunnel syndrome can cause an aching pain on the inside of your elbow. Most symptoms, however, occur in the hand. Numbness and tingling in the ring and little fingers are common symptoms of ulnar nerve entrapment. These symptoms may come and go.

-Tim
                          Thanks for that info guess i need to schedule with someone... lots of lifting with my work so I’m sure something is job related is likely

Comment

Interesting

Comment

About a hundred different possibilities. If you have been working out a lot, it could be entrapment of the brachial plexus. For every "front muscle" (pectoralis maj/min., anterior delts, etc.) exercise, you should be doing 2 "back muscle" (trap, rhomboid, post. delt, etc.) . If you over develop the front, you will start getting entrapment of the nerves when your arms are in front of you. Look up thoracic outlet syndrome as well.

Most likely, there is some neck involvement as well. You could have a slight to moderate encroachment at the neck, then a slight to moderate in the shoulder girdle. This would lead to moderate to severe symptoms.

The nerves that innervate the arm can be entrapped in multiple different places, but the most common are the neck, shoulder, elbow, then wrist. It could be a combination of all of the above.

Comment

Working...
                              X