Bad lighting and Bluegrass music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad lighting and Bluegrass music

Went and watched my son play with group of friends Friday night at Hickory Hollow BBQ on Heights Blvd in Houston. The banjo player is a 3 time Texas state champion and the guitar player a 1 time champion. I carried my Oly E-520 and the ZD 35-100. There was track lighting aiming at the bandstand, red,yellow and blue. There was also two fluorescent bulb fixtures with one directly over the main mic. I used a incandescent WB setting but as you can see the fluor stood out. One thing I did was pull back on the saturation. Anybody ever shoot lighting situations like this? Thanks for looking. For more of these see my signature below.

tough conditions, Bill.

Mine wouldn't look nearly as good as yours!

Comment

It was tough and thanks Rod. Most musicians don't like flashes going off. I could have used one here but I wanted to practice!

Comment

Looks like you did fine, Bill. This is probably a situation where an ExpoDisc or some other way of getting a custom WB setting would really pay off. You can do it in post processing with the eye dropper WB tool and get pretty good too. I don't know how much better you could have gotten it with either method though. Looks great as-is.

Comment

Thanks Shane. Matt's playing with these guys pretty often now. Their fiddle player works shift work and is on a long shutdown. He can't make all the gigs so Matt is having a good time freelancing since his group isn't doing much right now.

Comment

Nice shots Mr. Morris.

Comment

Thank you Randy!

Comment

Bill,
                Nice shots, especially for not doing a lot of creative stuff like an ExposDisc as Shane mentioned or post processing. This will be a great opportunity to practice as you say on a friendly group of players. As you do more, let us know what kind of changes you are making in your camera settings etc. as we are definitely interested.

Comment

Thanks Scott and will do.

Comment

I'd say it was 50/50 on the lighting. I like em.

Comment

Working...
                    X