Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for New Youth Bow

Hi Folks,

I've been teaching my 4 year old to shoot trad. He loves it, and I enjoy watching him and shooting alongside him. I think it may be time for a new bow, though. He's been shooting a bow I got from 3 Rivers. It's a 10 lb draw, which he can easily draw and shoot. But I think it may be too short. He also gets frustrated that his arrows can't penetrate and "stick" our bag target or the foam ones at the local archery range. They just bounce back, but I don't think much can be done about that given light weight youth bows. I don't want to over-bow him with a heavier draw and have him develop bad form.

I want to get him a longer bow that'll last him a few years, preferably with dual shelves for left and right hand shooting (not yet sure if he's a lefty or right-handed). Nothing against the youth all-fiberglass "plasticky" looking bows, but I prefer getting him a wood laminated-fiberglass bow if possible. Anyone have any suggestions?

Darn it. Pics aren't showing.

Comment

None of my suggestions are going to match your requirements... but I will offer up this.

Grind those kiddie points down to a real point or install real points on whatever arrows you are currently having him use so they stick and pop balloons. That is what I did and it worked great. Keep those chewed up 3D targets for them to shoot into... don't bother with bag targets.

I talk my kiddos through the importance of getting close to the target. When we are out and about and we see a rabbit or a squirrel, we play a game of how close can we get to it before it runs away.

Your kid probably already has an eye dominance. Check it using a couple different methods to confirm which one it is. Hard to find non-cheap dual shelves.

Comment

Take a look at Black Rhino bows.

Comment

Excellent advice, Swamprabbit. And thanks, Phillip Fields, for the link to the Black Rhino bows. The M42 model may just be the ticket for him.

Comment

Get with Mike mcready at mad dog bows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the tip on Mad Dog bows, Dkincaid.

Comment

Looking for New Youth Bow

If you have not looked at them yet, take a look at the Little Newt made by Sarrels Archery right here in Tx! Give Bob a call and I'll bet he can get you some pics of his cool little kids bows.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  If you have not looked at them yet, take a look at the Little Newt made by Sarrels Archery right here in Tx! Give Bob a call and I'll bet he can get you some pics of his cool little kids bows.

Bisch

Yep! I agree Sarrels is a good place to check.

Comment

Easy eye dominace test that works ell with kids. Stand about 10 feet away from them and have them point a finger at your nose. You will be looking over their finger at the dominate eye.

Comment

I can't believe Swamper didn't mention this but kids love balloons. His arrows will pop balloons, lol. Like mentioned the dominant eye is very, very important.

If I'm not mistaken Maddog allows you to trade in bows as the kids get bigger. He really does a lot for kids and helping them get started and stay involved.

Way to get him started early Dad.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch

Thanks, Bisch! I had thought of a Sarrels bow for him but couldn't find his website. I thought it was SarrelsArchery.com?

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                          Easy eye dominace test that works ell with kids. Stand about 10 feet away from them and have them point a finger at your nose. You will be looking over their finger at the dominate eye.
                          Great tip, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
                            I can't believe Swamper didn't mention this but kids love balloons. His arrows will pop balloons, lol. Like mentioned the dominant eye is very, very important.

If I'm not mistaken Maddog allows you to trade in bows as the kids get bigger. He really does a lot for kids and helping them get started and stay involved.

Way to get him started early Dad.
                            He loves balloons. Will definitely try this.

Comment

Working...
                            X