Wildgame Innovations Feeder/Timer Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wildgame Innovations Feeder/Timer Issues

I have a 6 volt Wildgame Innovations feeder, with the Wildgame Innovations timer that I used for the first time this year. Twice this season I have gotten on stand only to not have my feeder throw. After checking the feeder both times, I realized the battery was dead both times. I put the first brand new 6 volt Energizer alkaline in it in late September and set it to throw twice a day (morning /evening) for 5 seconds each throw at Hi speed. Battery was dead by opening weekend. Based upon trail cam pics, I would estimate it died about a week before opening day. I replaced the dead battery with another brand new Energizer, on opening day, and changed the motor speed to medium with a 6 second throw twice a day, and assumed that would get me through the end of the season. Went out just after Christmas, and the battery was dead again. Replaced with a third Energizer, and was very frustrated to say the least.

By comparison, I have been running the same programmable Moultrie 6 volt I picked up for $40.00 in 2008, which sits out year round, with no problems. I place a 6 volt Energizer in it in September of each year, set it to feed 2 times a day for 5 or 6 seconds, and the corn is usually gone by February or March, but I just allow it to continue to spin to keep it from freezing up. Each September when I swap out for a new battery, the old battery still has anywhere from 50-75% battery life remaining according to the battery meter on the LCD timer display.

I never would have imagined such a drastic difference in battery life with the Wildgame feeder. Has anyone else experienced a similar battery drain issue with their Wildgame Innovations 6 volt feeder? Trying to determine if it could be the motor pulling too much juice, or if it is the digital timer. If I had to guess, I would speculate it is the timer mechanism, as the motor looks to be a standard 6 volt type motor. If you think it is the timer, can you suggest a replacement timer that performs well, and does not drain the battery excessively fast.

Before I get flamed for having a Wildgame Innovations feeder, I know firsthand about their quality control issues, as a bought 3 Wildgame trail cams a few years ago, and all 3 died before the end of the season. Just thought a feeder/timer was a pretty basic and full proof item. I have noted some other companies appear to have the same, or at least very similar, feeder/timer. Specifically I believe Remington is one of them. Any insight would be appreciated.

I had one cam that lasted a year. Worked great while it did. A few timers that are kind of a pain do mess with. Kinda hit or miss with them.

Comment

Everything Wildgame Innovations makes is JUNK.

Comment

I have 2 feeders with the wild game motors and timers and 2 with moultries. All 4 have solar panels and I will still have to change batteries at least once in the wildgame motors during season. The moultries stay at 100% all the time.

Comment

If you add a solar panel and battery, they will work fine. Ours did the same thing with regular batteries. Not sure why they use so much energy but they do.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
            I have 2 feeders with the wild game motors and timers and 2 with moultries. All 4 have solar panels and I will still have to change batteries at least once in the wildgame motors during season. The moultries stay at 100% all the time.
            X2

Comment

I'd also recommend upgrading to the "sealed led acid" batteries as they take a charge, and hold it, way better than what you're currently using. Those Energizers aren't really designed to be charged. This isn't a feeder head issue in my opinion. You may even have an exposed wire somewhere causing a short.

I've had the same two Wildgame feeder head for longer than I can remember with the solar charger. The one time I had to replace a battery was when the Raccoon's decided they'd use the wire going from the battery to the solar panel as their own personal monkey bars and ripped it apart.

Comment

Ours worked okay this year,gonna put solar panels on this year hopefully less messing with them,our cameras seem to work well. One battery change in 4 cameras.

Comment

This is why I build my own 12 v units with good timers

Comment

Had multiple issues with WGI units not operating, even after swapping timing units and batteries. Finally switched over to an all seasons unit and added an eliminator spinning plate. Goes off when its supposed to, no more lost corn and no need for a varmint cage.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Slickrick View Post
                      X2

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowslinger1 View Post
                        X2
                        X3

Comment

Sorry for your troubles...I feel this way too ^ Only thing worse is their customer service. Good luck.

Comment

I had issues with one of my two WGI feeders this year. I just had an expensive season and couldn't afford to put anything better out. Next year they will be replaced.

Comment

pretty much sums it up !!

Comment

Working...
                              X