Management Buck down on Mom and Son Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Management Buck down on Mom and Son Hunt

What a fun day doing something that made this mom VERY happy!

J-Bone and I have hunted together (meaning at the same location), but have not sat in a blind together in quite some time. He doesn't really like to be in a bow blind with limited vision...unless he is hunting himself.

I don't rifle hunt much, but with the weather off an on raining....Justin and I once again hunted together in the same blind (rifle blind on the edge of a large pasture). With the crazy off and on rain, I was perfectly fine with the dry blind and smoke pole today. J-Bone sat the stage by telling me if we saw a shooter and I hesitated, he WOULD shoot. (He knows my competitive drive oh so well...LOL!)

We got to the blind about 6 and not seeing anything at all, we surfed through the Live Hunts going on here at TBH. A couple hours into this....Justin looks up just as an old buck comes under the cross fence from the pasture in our direction. His first comment is "THAT is a mature buck and he is a great cull!". We went back and forth in conversation and decided I needed to shoot. We then went through a series of issues ... first, the chair is too low and I can't get on him. He takes his jacket off, balls it up and I sit on it. Then, the buck keeps finding something interesting behind him....if he went broadside, it was for a few short seconds....staying either heavy on the quartering away or showing me his backside. He then turns facing us.

I, by this point, have a heart beating out of my chest and start shaking. I finally told him that I could not look up...had to get my breathing under control and to let me know when he was broadside. Geesh....I was shaking the blind.

I have found it does not matter bow or gun, I get just as excited with either!

So, I would look down, try to calm myself, peek up, look down, etc, etc, etc. We had some comical conversations that I didn't realize the video was on and picking up

Finally, he got broadside and gave me the shot I was looking for. I settled the cross-hairs, squeezed the trigger and he bolted! After a couple yards, his backside started to wobble (Justin says "I thought you missed."...Ha! Not a chance! ), he started to snow plow, took a jump straight in the air and landed DOA 40-50 years from shot.

We high fived and looked at the video.....perfect shot! With other hunters out, we hung out in the blind for as long as I could stand it with him laying in site (maybe 10 whole minutes).

As we walked up to him, his body got bigger and bigger. He was a fat boy for sure! He was by all means, the perfect South Texas management buck. 6 1/2 years old, 210 pounds and an 8 point that scored 124.

We hugged, high fived again and I let him know how happy that hunt made me. I LOVE spending time with my boys and doing things together that we both enjoy.....and this one certainly rated right up there as one of the best!

Love you Justin...thanks for one of the best days that will be in the memory banks forever!!!

Look at that nose!

Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	25075112

Name:	12.jpg
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	25075113

The Tailgate Pic

Name:	11.jpg
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	25075114

Congrats Mary!!!

Comment

Nice job, Mary. Congrats!!!

Comment

Congrats Mary and a good buck

Comment

Congrats, cool deer

Comment

Nice deer! Sounds like y'all had a blast! Post up the audio

Comment

Congratulations Mary!

Comment

Awesome Mary. Congrats on the memories

Comment

Way to go! I hope my kids take me hunting when they grow up.

Comment

That is a very nice deer. I love the rack too. It's got a very unique and interesting shape about it.

Comment

Congrats Mary! Great family time / Great Buck!

Comment

Great write up thanks for sharing and congrats on the buck.

Comment

Congratulations Mary and Justin

Comment

Good stuff Mary!!

~~~~~~

Atta boy J!!

Comment

Congrats!!

Comment

Working...
                              X