Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is gonna be dove hunting with a stick and string?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is gonna be dove hunting with a stick and string?

I am gonna give it a shot this year. Making up my own version of snaro points out of some old thunderheads I had in the broadheads boxClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440781530.877481.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	25065101Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440781555.862728.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	25065102

I do every year, I get one or two then I get hungry and grab the shotgun. Go luck with it, be quick on the recovery.

Comment

I am planning on giving it a try also this year. I have shoot and missed a lot of other birds so I might as well aggravate the dove also

Comment

After I get a few limits in the freezer with the scattergun I am going to break out the longbow. I tried it for the first time last year and it was fun even though I did not connect. I built a half dozen flu-flus and lost three of them when they hung in the tops of mesquite trees. I am changing tactics this year for that reason. Instead of hunting around a tank I am going to sit on the edge of a field that is plowed out to about 75 yards. I will set a Mojo at 12 yards and hope to pop them when they start setting their wings to land.

Comment

I'm in, we did it a couple times last year. Never connected, but got close enough to one that it changed direction. Looking forward to it again this year. Hopefully with more success....which wouldn't be much!

Comment

Heath, the first thing I will tell you is good luck! The second would be to advise you to get rid of the fluflu feathers. I still have not gotten one yet, but have started to get real close since going back to regular feathers. For me, fluflus just slow down too much too fast!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
              Heath, the first thing I will tell you is good luck! The second would be to advise you to get rid of the fluflu feathers. I still have not gotten one yet, but have started to get real close since going back to regular feathers. For me, fluflus just slow down too much too fast!Bisch
              I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense. Bisch are use still using your homemade bird points?

Comment

Heath, the first thing I will tell you is good luck! The second would be to advise you to get rid of the fluflu feathers. I still have not gotten one yet, but have started to get real close since going back to regular feathers. For me, fluflus just slow down too much too fast!

Bisch
                How do you keep your arrow from flying 150 yards then after you miss????

Comment

Bisch

I would be worried I wouldn't find my arrows. I plan on being very selective on what shots I take and I am gonna try to let them get as close as possible. I can definitely see what you are saying about it slowing the arrow down a lot. I was shooting them this evening at just 20 yards and they seem way slower than my regular arrows

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                    I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense. Bisch are use still using your homemade bird points?
                    Yes, and I have a small snaro also.

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                    How do you keep your arrow from flying 150 yards then after you miss????
                    With the huge bird points/snaros, they go farther, but not to bad. You need to take as many as you can so you don't have to fetch as often. Also, an open field makes finding them a lot easier.

Originally posted by bubba1986 View Post
                    I would be worried I wouldn't find my arrows. I plan on being very selective on what shots I take and I am gonna try to let them get as close as possible. I can definitely see what you are saying about it slowing the arrow down a lot. I was shooting them this evening at just 20 yards and they seem way slower than my regular arrows
                    The biggest problem I have noticed is that when you start to draw, the doves see you and turn. When they turn, they are no longer flying towards you. That is where guys like Tim Wells who use a compound have a great advantage. They can get to full draw and hold for a while. I have 3 mojo decoys I am going to try this year.

Bisch

Comment

Wow! I'm all about bow hunting, but dove makes me salivate. I want as many as legally possibly as quick as possible! Shot gun it has to be.

But I hope to see how y'all do it and how it works! Very cool.

Comment

Im going for it too.

Comment

Any of yall trying it with your compound bow?? I've always wanted to try this, but not sure how easy it'll be with my Mathews!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
                            Any of yall trying it with your compound bow?? I've always wanted to try this, but not sure how easy it'll be with my Mathews!
                            This thread was started in the trad forum, so most of us will not be using a compound. Just google Tim Wells Dove hunt, and you will see that it surely can be done!

Bisch

Comment

This thread was started in the trad forum, so most of us will not be using a compound. Just google Tim Wells Dove hunt, and you will see that it surely can be done!

Bisch

Oh sorry. I didn't realize it was in the traditional section. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X