Info on a Recurve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info on a Recurve

Hi guys, new to this section and need some help. I have been wanting a recurve or a longbow for a while now just to shoot around the house. I am a compound shooter, but love shooting a traditional bow at times. I have found a Ben Pearson Cougar 7050 35# @ 28'' for really cheap. Anyone have any info or knowledge of this bow? I shoot a 30.5'' draw on my compound and when I measured the drawstick bow I was at 30''. Plus if anyone is near Decatur that has a longbow or recurve I can try I'd appreciate it. Thanks all!!!

I have the exact same bow but in 45# have shot some good animals with it. You will probably get a little stacking in poundage at that draw. Mine is my go to recurve for some reasone I just can not put it down. It's not the fastest recurve but it is fun.

Comment

Do you know what the AMO length of the bow is?

That draw weight is great for someone looking into trad, but I'd recommend you buy something at least 62" long to learn on. My draw length is just about as long as yours and I'm not comfortable shooting anything shorter than 60".

Make sure you check the limbs for twist before throwing down some cash, but if the price is right you can buy the rest of what you'll need for around $100 depending on how fancy you want to get!

Comment

Sounds to me like that would be a good bow to start shooting traditional. At your draw length you will probably be pulling around 40# -- perfect, IMO. You will be able to work on the elements of form without being overbowed and wearing yourself out. I shot a 40# recurve for almost a year before getting a 50# longbow to hunt with. Be careful, shooting trad is very addictive. After spraying them around for a while, one day the arrow will start going - like magic - right where you are looking. Then you will be hooked! I still have that 62", 40# recurve. If you'd like to borrow it along with a few arrows just to try the trad side, let me know and I'll send it to you.
        Last edited by jerp; 09-16-2012, 04:34 PM.

Comment

It is AMO 62" and for now I want something I can learn the basics on and be happy with just grouping arrows together at 15-20 yds. I began archery shooting fingers on an old Pearson compound, so finger shooting isn't foreign to me, but a Trad bow is.

Comment

My local bow shop had a Horne Longbow for quite awhile that I would go shoot. But the bow was a 52" AMO I think and 45# so it stacked pretty well when I tried to get to my anchor. Horne Archery is about 15 minutes from my house.

Comment

Working...
            X