Colorado Elk Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado Elk Hunt

Finally getting a little time to put together a little story about my elk hunting adventure. I have always wanted to bow hunt for elk but timing has never worked out, so when I got the invite for over the counter diy public land gun hunt I jumped on it. I could not have asked for more, I literally saw elk every time I sat to hunt. After a day of seeing elk and many hunters in the open meadows, I decided to move into the thick stuff. This was more like river bottom hunting which made me feel right at home. I set down the 300 win mag and grabbed the old faithful 12 gauge (everyone thought I was nuts). First evening I had a cow come in to 15yrds and a spike at less than 3 yrds. Yes, you read that correctly 3 yrds literally almost made my heart stop. The next morning I woke up to a frigid 7 degrees and headed to the thicket, after a short set I saw the 5x5 bull coming. I held my composure while he entered the opening at a mere 14 yrds. The 1oz slug found its mark and he dropped like he got hit by a log truck! Then it hit me I had managed to take the most amazing animal I had ever seen in the wild, doing it at 14yrds with my shotgun. After an immediate text to my wife the celebration began. Casey and I celebrated the kill and beg the skinning, quartering and backing out. This hunt was awesome I saw tons of mule deer, plenty of elk, and turkey. Then there was the 7 minute standoff with a mountain lion at 40 yrds. I’ll let the pics tell the rest of the story. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2363.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	25162586

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PEC; 10-26-2018, 07:40 AM.

awesome!

Comment

Wow! Congrats on the awesome experience. Never heard of killing an elk with a shotgun, but apparently it is pretty effective.

Comment

Can't ask for better than that! What area of CO were you hunting?

Comment

Congrats on the elk. Those are some beautiful pictures. What unit is that.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
            Wow! Congrats on the awesome experience. Never heard of killing an elk with a shotgun, but apparently it is pretty effective.
            The 1oz slug made for an instant kill, the bull collapsed instantly, he never raised his head kicked or even gasped for breath.

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
            Congrats on the elk. Those are some beautiful pictures. What unit is that.
            We were Northeast of Meeker in the White River National Forest mainly Unit 12.

Comment

I love these elk hunt stories. Hoping one day to be able to post about one myself. Congrats on the bull!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

That's awesome!

Comment

Congrats and thanks for taking time to share.

Rwc

Comment

That's awesome! Congrats!

Comment

Good times!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Great hunt.
                            Thanks for sharing.

Comment

That is way cool. Thanks for sharing