Headed to Belize.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed to Belize.

Been pushing hard at work and finally able to take a break. Early morning flight to Belize City and then on to Dangriga. Will be staying on a island and looking for my first bonefish on a fly. I have a permit and a tarpon but no bone. Anyone fished or traveled Belize?

Just got back this past Saturday. Spent the week in and around Camalote. Was way cooler than here!

Comment

Check out blue horizons. I slayed bones when I stayed at Thatch Caye. Bring Bauer crabs for permit. Bones liked shrimp colored Klausers as well. Try some Marie Sharps hot sauce. Stuff is the best. You will be sick of Beliken beer by the time you leave.

All those dudes drink dark dark beer (Belize is old old British colony)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In San Pedro RN. Tarpon Today. Secret beach all day yesterday. Belikens on belikens. And Marie is comin home wit me.
        Last edited by eastxhunter; 07-26-2018, 04:07 AM.

Comment

I am ready to get there. We will be at royal Belize just below Thatch Caye. Fortunate to have a friend that owns both places. Something tells me beer and hot sauce will happen pretty quick once we get there. I will be fishing with blue horizon but i am hoping i can wade around the island and catch fish on my own.

Comment

Dang, you have the hard fish out of the way. Bones should be no issue.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
              I am ready to get there. We will be at royal Belize just below Thatch Caye. Fortunate to have a friend that owns both places. Something tells me beer and hot sauce will happen pretty quick once we get there. I will be fishing with blue horizon but i am hoping i can wade around the island and catch fish on my own.
              Catching a bonefish shouldn't be too hard. Not sure where your Caye is located but most Cayes on the barrier reef have bonefish.

I went on a dive trip in May on a Caye in the Sapadillos and caught a few bonefish on fly rod between dive trips. I used both a lead and bead eye shrimp fly.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                Been pushing hard at work and finally able to take a break. Early morning flight to Belize City and then on to Dangriga. Will be staying on a island and looking for my first bonefish on a fly. I have a permit and a tarpon but no bone. Anyone fished or traveled Belize?
                I'm going to ambergris caye in 3 weeks to fish. First trip down. I'm interested to see if you have some success wade fishing on your own. I'll probably try that a couple times myself.

Good luck man! Hope you get hooked up on a bone

Comment

Have a group heading down at the end of October. One day of fishing the flats, the next day looking for tunas at the Split. No expert on a fly and we caught prob 20 between 2 people on a bead eye shrimp fly.

Comment

Lots of bonefish in Belize, in my experience. More numbers than size. The turtle grass makes it a pain to wade fish in some areas. Look for sandy spots and holes. Any decent Belize guide will put you on bones.

Tarpon are like my personal opiod. If I could only chase one fish the rest of my life, that would probably be it. Honestly, I 'm not sure how it gets any better than sight-casting to cruising tarpon on the flats....especially a big one. Since you've already caught a tarpon and permit on the fly, you're kind of going in reverse, but bones pull hard and are good fun.

Marie Sharp's comes in several heat levels. The flavor is great, but I struggle with the aftereffect. One of the hottest levels had me curled up on the bed in the fetal position hoping the pain would stop. I now stick to Marie Sharp's mild. I love the flavor and heat of habanero, but my system does not tolerate it well.

My advice - take time to catch some of the local snapper (mutton, yellowtail, mangrove). Make some snapper ceviche and fry up the rest. So. Dang. Good.

Good luck!

Comment

I am going to Belize in Oct. I would like to fish out in front of the resort (Coco Beach Resort). Do I have to buy a local fishing license to fish there? I don't want to hire a guide. Just some casual fishing early in the mornings.

Comment

I bought a belizean fishing permit. It’s was <$30
                        If I remember right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X