No announcement yet.

Deer/Elk Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have shot a tikka before and liked it, didn't realize it had such a following until now! Checking around I think the t3x is going to be on the short list. I've always shot 308 or 300 so that's why I mentioned them, probably drop the 308 due to the above mentioned.
    How is the stock tikka trigger? Heard extremely good things about jewels and didn't know if I needed to replace the stock with one.

Comment

Tikka T3
      Look at Eurooptics they have a good selection of the T3 lite and T3 hunter in wood.
      For $499

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
        I have shot a tikka before and liked it, didn't realize it had such a following until now! Checking around I think the t3x is going to be on the short list. I've always shot 308 or 300 so that's why I mentioned them, probably drop the 308 due to the above mentioned.
        How is the stock tikka trigger? Heard extremely good things about jewels and didn't know if I needed to replace the stock with one.
        300s have great ballistics, they're just punishing to shoot and a bit of an overkill for Deer/Elk. After owning a 7mag Tikka I went the opposite direction and had a Creedmoor built.. One thing I like about the Creedmoor is I can stay on target after my shot (barely) without running a brake.. The good news about a 300 is you could take anything in North America, even Grizzlys.. If you want to run something big I would just step up to a .338 and be done with it..

The trigger is solid and can be adjusted very low.. Not a Jewel but very crisp..

Only thing I would recommend down the road is a B&C stock and have it bedded. Won't cost too much..
        Last edited by Deers & Beers; 05-14-2017, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I think the T3 lite only comes in long action, so i wouldnt get any short action cartridge. I love mine in 25-06. I also own a 700 in 7 rem mag, and it is a deer killing machine, but heavy. I cannot tell recoil difference between 7 mag and 30-06, but the .300 winmag i had in a browning abolt had significant recoil.

In the heavier bullets loaded fast (the 25-06 likes fast), it kicks pretty good in the lite rifle. With 120 gr bullets it is like a .270, recoil wise.

Comment

I've got a Tikka 7mm-08 with a B&C Medalist stock that I might possibly sell. I've been on the fence about it. It shoots extremely well. Here in East Texas, my Muzzleloader and bow will reach out and touch anything I'm hunting no farther than you can see around here. It will shoot .5 MOA

Comment

Has anyone looked at the Kimbers in the syn. stainless fluted barrel pretty much match grade out of the boxed. Around $900.00.

Comment

Its a probably gonna be a caliber debate more so than the rifle itself. Everyone has a different philosophy. I think over 200 yards on an Elk and a corn feeder for deer is abysmal but others enjoy it.

Maybe the thread will head towards Grizzly Bears

Comment

300 wsm. I shoot the savage . Been hunting elk several years. Have not lost an animal. Use it deer hunting too. I love it and shoot reloads out of it. Best shooting gun I have.

Comment

I would.look.for an older Rem 700 in 300 WM or 7 mm Rem Mag. And then apply the difference in used vs new to the optics. For an all around gun to include elk and longer ranges I am going with Zeiss, Leica, Schmidt Bender or Swarvo optics.
                    Last edited by dbaio1; 05-14-2017, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MilMan View Post
                      Drake has a Weatherby 300 WIN MAG in the classifieds for 700.
                      ^Not a bad deal at all.^

There are going to compromises with any cartridge.

The 308 will lack power/flat trajectory at longer ranges while the 300WM is a little much at shorter distances.

The old 30-06 splits the difference between the two.

Then again they're are probably 75 other cartridges that would fit the bill too.

Comment

280 Rem. 700 mountain rifle.

Lite enough to pack up and down a mountain with bullet options for all deer in North America.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                          ^Not a bad deal at all.^

There are going to compromises with any cartridge.

The 308 will lack power/flat trajectory at longer ranges while the 300WM is a little much at shorter distances.

The old 30-06 splits the difference between the two.

Then again they're are probably 75 other cartridges that would fit the bill too.
                          The last sentence says it all. What you want to hunt has been successfully done with everything from .22 Hornet to .375 H&H. I would personally take my APR in .280 Rem to hunt anything in North America except the big bears. The only elk I ever killed was with a .300 WSM, but it would have fell just the same to my .280, a .270 Win., 30/06, 30/30, or any number of cartridges. As with an arrow, it's all about shot placement and projectile choice.

As for the gun, whatever blows your skirt up !

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                            I've got a Tikka 7mm-08 with a B&C Medalist stock that I might possibly sell. I've been on the fence about it. It shoots extremely well. Here in East Texas, my Muzzleloader and bow will reach out and touch anything I'm hunting no farther than you can see around here. It will shoot .5 MOA
                            Pm sent

Comment

30-06 for all the reasons listed above AND because you can buy ammo at just about any gas station or feed store.

S far as something light, I'd go with the Tikka or Remington's light rifle.

Comment

Get a Weatherby Weatherguard in whatever caliber you like. A nicer synthetic stock than most and it's cerakoted. All metal...no plastic mag boxes, bolt shrouds, or trigger guards. Under $600 and 1MOA accuracy.

Comment

Working...
                                X