Genus or species?

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
    Deer

Skinny

Comment

donkey

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
        That doesn't look like a burr to me. Looks like a ring around the eye which would match the other eye.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
          Look at your mounts on the wall and show me one with that much dark hair around and in the ear.
          I literally just googled "whitetail deer" and this is the first image that came up...seems to have black around its ear...
          Attached Files

Comment

Some folks must like to make it something its not just to be different..

Comment

Well if you think that's looks like the picture posted....

Comment

I know this may sound crazy but if it's in west Texas it's probably a mule deer hybrid. I shot two of them one year and had the game warden look at them and he said yes they breed. One of mine had a whitetail ten point rack and mule deer head and ears and body but it had a full whitetail tail. The other was a mule deer eight no brow tines and had a full whitetail everything except the ears and tail. The ten point bounded when he was running up the bluff with the rest of the deer but the eight point didn't with the other group when they were running alongside a point. The whitetail does in that group obviously didn't bound but the mule deer did. It's crazy I know and some will say it's impossible but I've seen it and a game warden and wildlife biologist from TPWD said that's what they were.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                  Well if you think that's looks like the picture posted....
                  Here's a better one from my ranch. Most of our deer have black around the ears. The OP's picture is just a nappy spike
                  Attached Files

Comment

wouldn't eye be the area I circled in yellow?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	24440559

Comment

Look at original pic you can see the white in the area I circled yellow, which looks to be the eye area to me

Comment

I think that is a Red Deer Spike. I hunted out there years ago and they killed red deer every few years
                        Long Hair.
                        Ear Out line
                        Last edited by powderburner; 04-18-2016, 10:59 AM.

Comment

If that's a burr on the antler, it's at the wrong angle to be coming out of that deers head. Could it be 2 bucks gently butting heads and that long spike is on the other deers head? Because the camera is so poor, you can't even distinguish the other deer, just the bright while of the spike antler.

Comment

That is a lot closer. thx
                            Originally posted by Jared.King View Post
                            Here's a better one from my ranch. Most of our deer have black around the ears. The OP's picture is just a nappy spike

Comment

Whitetail buck deer
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X