Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you hunt in the S. Texas brush country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my first year to hunt with a bow in S. Texas as I previously only gun hunted. I have tried hunting from a ground blind, stalking, and tree stand. My problem is I like the tree stand more but also have a small fear of heights haha. I will sit in the tree stand but I do not like standing in it. The ground blind for me is easier (have a Barronett) but I really dislike having only a small opening to look out. Next year I will likely try a homemade ground blind with brush etc. So I would like to know how you hunt in the S. Texas brush country.

Do any of you sit in the big oaks and hunt from them? Mesquite trees etc?

Thanks

If you like being up get a 7’ tripod and back it into a tree. Put camo netting around behind you to break up your silhouette. I’ve also got the Mavericks, Krivo and Blind turtle ground blinds. They all work well.

Comment

I’m not a super fan of tree stand neither but a lifeline and harness surely helps. They’re not that expense and it’s just common sense to wear one. Practice in the spring and summer shooting sitting down.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I have been using a harness when I climb and it does help. I think with time I will become more comfortable with tree stands. Do ya'll ever sit up in a big oak tree? There are a lot where I hunt (Atascosa county) but none of them are straight for a tree stand. This past weekend I just sat in the oak tree, it was not too bad, but I never saw any deer either.

Comment

Originally posted by BeardedAg08 View Post
          Thanks for the advice. I have been using a harness when I climb and it does help. I think with time I will become more comfortable with tree stands. Do ya'll ever sit up in a big oak tree? There are a lot where I hunt (Atascosa county) but none of them are straight for a tree stand. This past weekend I just sat in the oak tree, it was not too bad, but I never saw any deer either.

I’m not fond of heights but I just use a 2 man ladder stand and wear a harness if I’m hunting a place with big trees. I don’t like lock ons or climbers. Where I hunt in South Texas I think there may only be 2 trees on 550 acres that I could put a lock on in and no place to use a climber. I ended up setting up a 10 foot quad leg stand from Academy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Black Ice; 01-01-2019, 10:19 PM.

Comment

I hunted in Bee county with lots of large old oaks. In the off season I built a couple of benches/stands in the fork of the tree out of 2"x 4" and 2"x 6" boards. Built ladders and the bench was wide enough and had a backrest so they were comfortable. I braced two 2"x 6" boards flat to stand on if I had to.

Comment

Wish I had trees. Mostly shrubs. I have a 6' tripod I tuck into the guajillo, cat claw or black brush.

Comment

I am a bit scared of heights as well. I can deal with ladders stands and lock on stands. My climber is flat spooky...just scares me to death! Matter of fact.... anybody need one?

Comment

GB

Comment

Do y'all do well with tripods in the brush? Seems like deer would be able to see you easily 20 yards and in. If so i might have to give it a try because i own one. And i am hunting with my stalker coyote recurve, not a compound.

Comment

What is GB?

Comment

Ground blind^. I'm hunting west TX mesquite trees so this may not help, but I can't seem to get up high enough for the deer to not know every time I'm there, especially late season when the leaves have dropped. Next year I'm switching everything to brush blinds and pop ups, yes you can't see as much but I'd rather kill deer than worry about my line of sight.

Comment

Try a ladder stand. They at least have rails on them you can brace your knee against when you stand up.

Comment

When I hunted south, it was all mesquite except one area along a creek where there were some hackberries and elms. Most of our sets were permanent ground blinds where we could hunt even if the weather was bad. We also used tripods and ladder stands when we found a need, and had a few tree stands along the creek.

I have always tried to let the situation dictate what I would use. Ground blinds are my most favorite because of how well they hide me and I can hunt them even in bad weather. If it’s nasty out, I don’t hardly want to be out there nearly as bad as I used to!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I appreciate it. On the GBs, do you shoot through the mesh?

Comment

Working...
                              X