X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another recurve question

I got a bear grizzly 58” 45#
    I’m pulling around 27-27 1/2
    I just shot it and it is loud and pops me at the wrist each time.
    I measured brace height and it is 5” which I tried to twist is out and still stays 5. Shouldn’t I be at 7”?
    It’s an old cheap string as I want to order a Flemish. The chart says 4” off 58” so do I need a 54” string? Is 3 rivers a good place to order it?

Also it’s saying 500 spine at 30” with 125gr head. How heavy of an arrow do you think I need? Any special arrow build? I am gonna order some when I order string. Someone have a perfect arrow set up?

Thanks y’all

Brace height is way to low and you can’t get there with that string.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Brace height should be between 7.5 and 8.5". 3 Rivers is a good place to order from.

Comment

Another recurve question

Like said above, brace height should be 7”-8.5”, and you won’t get to that range with the current string. Chances are, if you get the proper string and brace height, you will not hit your arm at all any more.

As far as arrows, a .500 or a .600 spine should work. If you go with the .500’s (which IMHO will make a better hunting arrow), you will likely have to have more than 125gr up front (point + insert weight). Probably more in the 200gr total range.

Good luck!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Another recurve question

Also, you should have your draw length measured, and then put the bow on a scale and see what the actual draw weight is at your DL. If it is closer to 45#, I’d go with the .500 spine shaft. If closer to 40# (you said your DL was 27-27.5, so your actual draw weight could be anywhere from about 41#-44#, and not all production bows are marked exactly what they actually are) I would go with the .600 spine shafts.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My bear grizzly had the actual weight @ 28” written underneath the strike plate. A 45 pound bear bow bow will be between 43-47 pounds at 28”. That’s a pretty good sized range. Make sure to get a b50 Dacron string. The grizzly is not fast flight compatible.

Comment

You just got your questions answered by some of the best Trad. shooters there are. Only thing they missed is that you should be able to use a 54" string since yours is too long. I may have one that I will give you from my old Bear bow. As mentioned, you need to use a Dacron or something that is not fast flight with that bow. I learned to shoot with a Grizzly and they are fine bows to have. I'll check tonight and if I have a string I can send it to you or you can buy one from 3 rivers. Those are pretty inexpensive. I would get the Flemish twist instead of a endless loop however. My preference anyway.

Comment

Check with Terry at the Footed Shaft in Minnesota. A quality guy who won't rip you with postage costs.

Comment

Working...
                X