300 Win Mag Factory Ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300 Win Mag Factory Ammo

What is everyone running in factory ammo in their 300 Win Mag? Just got a new Christensen Arms Mesa Long Range and have never owned this caliber before now. I had been shooting the ELDX in my 6.5 CM but only option is 200 grain in 300 WM which is probably a little large for my needs of whitetail, axis and pigs. Was thinking in the 150-180 grain range.

I don't reload so looking for a couple of factory options folks have had success with to run through the gun and see what she likes.

I’m a big fan of the factory Barnes 165gr TTSX. A close second favorite would be the Nosler 180gr Accubond. I like an exit wound in case the animal doesn’t drop and both of these provide that consistently.

Comment

Agree with freerhunter but in the reverse. I like the Nosler better but mainly because my rifle shoots it better

Comment

Both of My 300s love the 180 Barns TTSX Down Range. Out to 200 yards It doesn't Make Much Difference.

Comment

180 Accubond would be my first choice

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	trophy-grade-300-win-mag-180gr-accubondr-ammo-20ct-378.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	24551378

Nosler Trophy Grade 180 gr Accubond's

Comment

180 gr Accubond

Comment

A 300 WM is definitely too large for whitetail, axis and pigs.

That being said, I’d go with a 165 grain load from hornady.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                  A 300 WM is definitely too large for whitetail, axis and pigs.

That being said, I’d go with a 165 grain load from hornady.
                  Please explain?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by smithb164 View Post
                    Please explain?!?!?
                    All of the critters mentioned are pretty easy to kill.. there is pretty much no situation that a .308 wouldn’t work just as well as a 300 mag.

OP said a 200 grain bullet was too much, when in fact the cartridge wrapped around it is the culprit.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                      All of the critters mentioned are pretty easy to kill.. there is pretty much no situation that a .308 wouldn’t work just as well as a 300 mag.

OP said a 200 grain bullet was too much, when in fact the cartridge wrapped around it is the culprit.

Yep, I killed a deer too dead one time and it was a terrible experience!

Comment

Oh lord, not this again. Yes a 300 win mag is above and beyond for whitetail, but it was work just fine. Just possibly more meat damage. Use what you shoot best. I've used from a 243 to a 300 win mag on deer and everything in between. All get the job done. Just please please don't take a shoulder shot with a 300 win mag. It will destroy it.

Comment

So it’s not too big, but will destroy shoulder meat?

Makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                            Yep, I killed a deer too dead one time and it was a terrible experience!
                            lol

Comment

[QUOTE=dbaio1;13586231]Click image for larger version

Name:	trophy-grade-300-win-mag-180gr-accubondr-ammo-20ct-378.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	24551378

Nosler Trophy Grade 180 gr Accubond's[/

Great Ammo.

Comment

Working...
                              X