Our new baby boy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our new baby boy

I don’t post much on here these days, pretty much since my daughter was born 2 years ago and I’m A LOT busier since. Anyhow, my son decided that 40 weeks was entirely too long to stay in momma’s belly, and graced us with his presence on August 5th, 10 weeks early. As tough as it has been, and as much of a roller coaster ride the last 3 weeks have been, we’re VERY blessed and appreciative that Kyler Alan is doing very well. Our situation could have been much worse, and for that we are thankful. After spending so many nights here at Texas Children’s Level 4 NICU, I’ve found myself praying for other babies around us that are far more critical. Almost felt guilty that our son was progressing so well. It has been a humbling experience, to say the least. With that being said, I’m happy to report that he has “graduated” down to Level 2 NICU, and is happy to finally wear clothes and sleep on his camo blankets. He’s up to 4lbs 8oz, and 18” long. He was 3lbs 15oz when he was born. Looking forward to having another bow hunting buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by txheartshot; 08-25-2018, 08:19 PM.

Awesome pics and continued growth for the newborn!

Comment

Awesome to see your son and family doing well. Our twins went through something similar as they were born early as well. My daughter was 3 lbs 8 oz when she came out. Hope he can keep progressing and come home soon.

I also know what you mean by other babies in NICU care. While we were there there were a handful of babies that had been born early and not only had battled to finally get close to a healthy weight but when it was time for their parents to come get them, the parents never showed up.

Once again hope Kyler can come home to you and your family soon.

Comment

Prayers sent to you brother and all involved. It's definitely a roller coaster ride of emotions going through something like this. It will test you and your marriage. Hang in there!

I went through this many years ago with my youngest daughter. She was born at 26 weeks and weighed only 1lb 10 ozs. She spent the first 5 months of her life in NICU. My dear wife quit her job and spent time with her everyday for all that time until she finally weighed and was healthy enough to leave. Trying times for sure, lots of tears, good times and bad, prayers etc. It's in God's hands.

Comment

That’s awesome glad all is well now.

Comment

Awesome! Congrats!

Comment

Congratulations on your son's birth! Glad things are progressing for him.

Comment

Congrats and prayers for continued progress.

Comment

That looks like a fine little bow hunter in the making. Congrats to you and mom and praying he continues to progress well

Comment

Glad he is making progress and prayers sent for all.

What a great Big Sister he has!

Comment

Congrats and prayers for continued improvement.

Comment

What a beautiful baby boy. Congratulations to you and your wife on having such a little blessing. Prayers that he gets to come home soon and that he enjoys a long and healthy and happy life. You are a very lucky man.

Comment

Awesome family, you are blessed!

Comment

Our new baby boy

Thank you all. Big sister is very proud of her baby brother, and constantly asks to see pictures or go see him. Just spoke to the Attending MD a bit ago; he gained another 45 grams in the last 24 hours, and momma can start introducing breast feeding today. This is HUGE news for both Kyler and momma. They both need this for many reasons. MD also said he’s doing “stellar” and may get to go home much sooner than we thought. Although I have mixed feelings about it, this is also great news. I am very blessed to have such a strong wife and great mother for our children. Thank you all for your thoughts & kind words.

Comment

This is the update my wife posted on the book of faces tonight after a lot of inquiries from friends & family. I was blind sided by the news on Tuesday. I’m exhausted, so copy & paste it is tonight:

In life we know it can’t always be rainbows and unicorns but man the rollercoaster this week has been a doozy! [emoji21] ⬆️ The week started great after an amazingly sweet shower with some of my closest girlfriends to shower sweet Kyler with a few things he will need once he is home! It was a weird emotion to be at my baby shower, be wearing the maternity dress I got for this shower and not be pregnant....very strange but sweet all the same. ⬇️Then Monday came and we were told Kyler would have an echo due to a ❤️murmur which has been regularly monitored. Tuesday we were informed the echo showed he has 3 holes in his heart and an “extra vessel” if you will that was supposed to close shortly after delivery. That evening his (now on board) cardiologists felt he needed a chest X-ray to look at the suspected (and confirmed) extra blood in his lungs which is now being treated with a diuretic. As scary as it was to hear these things it is not something emergent and besides the diuretic, at this time are only things we are monitoring. ⬆️This week we were also told that we had the support of the nursing team, occupational therapist and the doctor to try breast feeding! We started with him latching more for practice after pumping to drain my milk so he didn’t get overwhelmed with the flow and amount I produce. Kyler excelled at this!!! [emoji1316] Today he actually got to latch BEFORE pumping to actually get his nutrition directly from me! He did ok but was so tired that he mainly slept so we will be trying again tomorrow. He also is up to 4lbs 12oz! ⬇️Then today we had to make a hard choice to not have one of my best friends come from Kentucky this weekend which has been planned for MONTHS because she has come down with a minor illness that has caused fever. With Kyler’s condition we just couldn’t risk the exposure for his sake so now we won’t see them until next May (14 months after seeing them the last time). This decision was easy and hard to make. Easy for Kyler’s sake but so hard because I needed something a mental break of sorts with all that’s been going on. It’s not the end of the word and there are much worse things that can happen, but these ⬆️s and ⬇️s have been exhausting this week!!! #mentallyandphysicallyexhausted #niculife

Comment

Working...
                              X