Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you call it? Ranch or Lease/Deer Lease.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you call it? Ranch or Lease/Deer Lease.

It's an easy question if you own the land. Obviously it would be called a ranch (given it is not just a few acres) but alot of people refer to the land they lease to hunt on as "Our Ranch, The Ranch," or a similar term which implies ownership (even though they clearly lease the land from the real owners).

So question, if you are not someone fortunate enough to own your hunting land...what do you call it?

"I'm heading out to the __________ this weekend to do a little hunting with the family."

Deer Lease, or just lease. No way would I state it in any way that implies that I own it, though I do hear it often.

Comment

I've noticed it as well. It doesn't sound as sexy or cool, but I refer to it by the owner's name (_____ farm, ______ place). Even though he's gone, my grandfather's farm will always be HIS farm to me.

Comment

Just the deer lease

Comment

Deer lease

Comment

Depends

99% of people I refer to it as "The lease". When speaking to my wife about it I often refer to it as "The Ranch" as whenever I say "The Lease" she gives me a confused look.

Comment

Either lease or the land. Funny you mention that, good friend of mine lives on 1 acre and they call it a farm house.

Comment

Lease since I do not own it.

Comment

Having a ranch and a lease it's funny to have friends ask which one I mean. When I say lease I mean the lease. When I say ranch I mean our place. I guess it's just confusing for some.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JonW View Post
                    I've noticed it as well. It doesn't sound as sexy or cool, but I refer to it by the owner's name (_____ farm, ______ place). Even though he's gone, my grandfather's farm will always be HIS farm to me.
                    If your not going to call it the lease this is the only other acceptable alternative. Seen a bunch of guys do this and probably what I would do if leasing a place, and how I currently identify the different ranches I have access to in the area. All of the stuff that is in the family has a nickname of some sort to ID it. But we do have one big pieces that is a little bit more remote and requires a 30-40 minute drive to get to that is called "the ranch" that has been in the family since the late 1800s.

Comment

My family property = "ranch"
                      My lease = "the lease"

Agree with DRT.

Comment

Deer lease or lease as I do not own it. When my parents had their place in Westcliffe, Co. I called it the Ranch.

Comment

Come on elk season!

Comment

Due to what I do for a living (Veterinary dermatology nurse) I call it "The ranch" even though we do not own it. This is mainly due to the fact that if I call it a deer lease or just the lease it inevitably turns into how can you work in your profession and still hurt animals? Now if they ask about it I will be up front and say I do not own it but it just saves me a lot of grief when speaking to people. No different as to why I do not tell to many people what I actually do since everyone wants free advise on their pets.

Comment

We just call it "The Lease"

Comment

Working...
                              X