any one in north texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any one in north texas

im thinking about trying out the public hunting but i dont know if its worth it

Some good hunting available, just make sure you know the regs on baiting and stands. Pretty restrictive at most places.

Comment

sucks

Comment

It's all a matter of what ya compair it to.

Comment

thats true and it can be good if you lay down enough shoe leather to escape the crowds and dont even try on the holidays. And dont expect the stuff you read in magazines work on these deer theres to much pressure. They got to be the smartest deer just to live ya year. But bow season not bad crowded but wear your orange during rifle season. I like Caddo National Grasslands near Bonham Tx. Ive seen some good deer nothin huge but i killed a 115 8 point out there 3 years agoe and thats was the biggest deer killed that year there. Ask for Tom Palmer if you go I know him well hes the bio. there and he will put you on the deer.

Comment

Now I'm like-n ya Stick em . Atta boy! And welcome to TBH. Your bro is welcome too

Comment

The worst thing about public land is sometimes you have do deal with some buthole that will set up a hundred yards away from ya. What are you supposed to do if you see a deer--quick draw and see who hits em first i guess. but the majority of the people I meet are considerate, but your hunting public land so just expect to see ppl now ive walked up on pple huntin a time or two but i get out of there fast so not to disturb them.

Comment

any hunting is better than no hunting... like above watch the regulations.

here's an idea. why not have a TBH camp site so brotherman above can meet some hunting folks and share experiences, stories, a beer.

Comment

If you stick to the bow only spots and walk a little farther then you normally would you can get into some good hunting. The size may not be as good as you would like but some good respectable deer.

Comment

Public hunting is better if you go through the draw system. I've been able to hunt all over Texas and have always seen game. Last year I put two does in the freezer.

Comment

Zen: Your idea sounds great to me! I started another thread wondering if others were going to Wright Patman (northeast) or Davy Crockett (southeast) this October for the same reason. It's always better when you can share the trip with others.

And from my understanding both places I listed are big enough that you shouldn't have too much crowding during the bow season.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick em View Post
                        thats true and it can be good if you lay down enough shoe leather to escape the crowds and dont even try on the holidays. And dont expect the stuff you read in magazines work on these deer theres to much pressure. They got to be the smartest deer just to live ya year. But bow season not bad crowded but wear your orange during rifle season. I like Caddo National Grasslands near Bonham Tx. Ive seen some good deer nothin huge but i killed a 115 8 point out there 3 years agoe and thats was the biggest deer killed that year there. Ask for Tom Palmer if you go I know him well hes the bio. there and he will put you on the deer.
                        Thanks for the information, how is the camping around Coffee Mill lake?

Comment

stands get stolen on leases. poachers on leases. butholes on leases.
                          stands get stolen on public lands. poachers on public lands. butholes on public lands.
                          lease =1500 and up
                          public land= 48 or free permit.
                          do the math. and do your scouting and you will have great hunting. you get what you put into it. good luck

Comment

camping at coffee mill lake is good but it gets crowded if you dont get there early but there are alot of other places to camp.

Comment

Some of the BEST small game hunting is to be had on public lands. Squirrel hunting in the mature hardwood sections of the national forrests is great.

I go durring the week and hunt deep (away from roads) for deer, I have a drilling (12ga-12ga-30-06) that I use for this type of hunting. If squirrels really start moving I just switch the selector and have fun.

If ducks are possibly on the menu I carry bismuth shot for them and squirrels, do not have both lead fine shot and ducks in the woods. (I emailed the Federal game wardens and thay said rifle ammo is fine but no lead fine shot in the woods while duck hunting.)

So be flexible, hunt deep and hunt durring the week days. Public hunting can be fun, just different.

Comment

Working...
                              X