Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You want to see the pictures of a shot out bore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were you loading hot or factory ammo? I have a 257 Wby mg also and it seems to shoot best at the higher velocities. Reason why I ask is because I'm coming up on the thousand round mark myself. Still shoots great at the moment. But maybe it's time I start getting ready to change her out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      Not to hijack the OP's thread, but has anyone here actually "shot out" a .264 Mag? And how many rounds did it take? Details?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I've had several through the years but never managed to shoot one out. I've always heard 1500-2000 rounds unless you hotrod it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        Not to hijack the OP's thread, but has anyone here actually "shot out" a .264 Mag? And how many rounds did it take? Details?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        It’s going to depend on a lot of variables like, heat, velocity, shot strings, etc., but also the answer is going to be subjective. While a competition shooter might consider it shot out if groups open up .2 or .3”, a hunter may not get concerned until he can’t keep it shooting under 1.5” or more. There may be 6,7, or 800 rounds or more separating those different calls. I suspect a .264 mag may be similar to a 6.5-284, and you can find some that say those can be shot out with as little as 700 or 800 rounds. But again that is pretty subjective.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
          took a few pics of the throat and rifling.
          aka "fire crackling" ... very cool pics

radar, you have a hawkeye bore scope ? if not what brand , thx

Comment

I've seen bores that look like gator skin continue to shoot lights out for a long time dale...let the paper tell you when it's time to hang it up. Seen it a lot with pre-64's.

Gotta buddy with a hawkeye & quit looking at my 280ai years ago when the throat wear started..certain im over 1k but so attached it's going to take consistent ugly groups for a new tube. I check it around this time & shoot my deer / yotes for the Season. Just so confident & being my first custom rig, I really hate to lose the original tube with name / born on date.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
              aka "fire crackling" ... very cool pics

radar, you have a hawkeye bore scope ? if not what brand , thx
              I have the Lyman, it takes pics and stores them on a sd card. Also has a small LCD screen remote viewer. Its pretty nice. My buddy just bought one on Midway on sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                Were you loading hot or factory ammo? I have a 257 Wby mg also and it seems to shoot best at the higher velocities. Reason why I ask is because I'm coming up on the thousand round mark myself. Still shoots great at the moment. But maybe it's time I start getting ready to change her out.
                Handloads and they were not as hot as Weatherby factory ammo. 115 gr Nosler partition at 3354 fps(avg). I was able to load the brass about 4 times before it started getting thin at the belt.

Weatherby warranty reads as a case by case basis, so I dont know what I will do with it yet.

The barrels are thin and get hot quick, I would have to say that heat is the killer. Probably the average guy would never wear one out, but it shot good and I used it.

Comment

weatherby loads

years ago I bought a 257 wb, was worried about having a low round count chambering...so I bought two more 257's to spread out the wear/tear!!!!!!!

Comment

if you have yet to try it, maybe worth seating your bullet out a bit more. I know most wb's I have like plenty of jump, but I still have low round counts(75-300)

Comment

Originally posted by skeeterboud View Post
                      if you have yet to try it, maybe worth seating your bullet out a bit more. I know most wb's I have like plenty of jump, but I still have low round counts(75-300)
                      I tried but could only go so far, and it did not make a difference. I started getting random fliers, thats why I checked the bore.

Comment

I would think over 1000 rounds out of a .257 Wby is pretty outstanding.

Comment

I agree 1000 on that 257 ,.... smoked my 300 rum in under 600 with some ultra hot loads. Sure was fun . its on its 3 barrel now . Great pics also

Comment

Impressed with the pictures from that Lyman. I may order one.
                            Fire cracking can start very early if the barrel heats up too much. I had a 6 Creed that showed beginning signs of fire cracking after 200 rounds from Roberts Hawkeye.

Comment

Originally posted by berettadave View Post
                              I would think over 1000 rounds out of a .257 Wby is pretty outstanding.
                              I thought 4 reloads out of the same brass was too. Lol

Comment

You want to see the pictures of a shot out bore?

That firecracking is impressive. [emoji3]

I probably need to scope mine. It’s a full custom with a Krieger barrel but I run it hard with handloads. I don’t shoot high volume strings and let it cool after 4-5 shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                Last edited by Mike D; 08-30-2018, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X