Diesel truck batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diesel truck batteries

Went fishing the other day and came back to dead batteries on my 6.7. When I charge them and run it, they stay at 14V while running, so I know the alternator is good. When I kill it and it sits for more than a few hours they drain to around 8.63V. One battery is 2 yrs old and the other is 3. Was hoping someone could tell me if that means that they are both bad or if just one is and it drains the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get them load tested

Comment

Probably both are bad. As a rule of thumb, you want to replace both batteries at the same time. But make sure it's the batteries that are bad and not some component drawing power when it shouldn't be. I had some grid heater relays fail once and kept sending power to the heaters even when my truck was off.
      Last edited by ShredLikeRed; 07-08-2018, 02:06 PM.

Comment

At least one maybe both have a bad cell. Would recommend changing both when you change them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dixiehunter View Post
          Probably both are bad. As a rule of thumb, you want to replace both batteries at the same time.
          Got ya, that's what I was thinking. It will probably save me the inconvenience later to just replace both now. Was just hoping it was only one since one is under warranty and the other was in the truck when I bought it.

Comment

When it’s real hot or real cold is when you’ll find out if you have a bad battery.

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses y'all

Comment

Yep if is battery change both

Comment

My connection between the two was gummed up which caused one to draw more and ruined one which led to both becoming bad. I would check everything in depth which bit me to the tune of two new yellow tops.

Comment

Like others said always changed both at the same time or the old one will draw down the new one. Go check out the Oriellys brand dry cell batteries. I run two on my four wheeler and they hold up great playing 2 amps and 4 8" speakers for hours then still crank up no problem. Same with them on my truck. I have a pretty big system and it'll play for hours and no hesitation starting

Comment

2 to 3 years is about what I would expect out of batteries in a diesel, in our Texas heat. Years ago when I had a diesel, I would go to the shop and have the batteries load-tested at the 22-23 month mark and most times they would test bad and the full replacement warranty took care of things.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                        2 to 3 years is about what I would expect out of batteries in a diesel, in our Texas heat. Years ago when I had a diesel, I would go to the shop and have the batteries load-tested at the 22-23 month mark and most times they would test bad and the full replacement warranty took care of things.
                        Good batteries will hold up longer. I ran DieHard platinums on mine 5.9 cummins for about 7 years. Ran them up until my truck had an accident last year and had to replace them. Then I went with the O'riellys dry cell batteries.

Comment

Just replace them both.

Comment

That’s a really good idea. Thanks.

Originally posted by robert97dodge View Post
                            Like others said always changed both at the same time or the old one will draw down the new one. Go check out the Oriellys brand dry cell batteries. I run two on my four wheeler and they hold up great playing 2 amps and 4 8" speakers for hours then still crank up no problem. Same with them on my truck. I have a pretty big system and it'll play for hours and no hesitation starting

That’s where I’m headed now, so I’ll check them out. I was running motorcraft. I forget to turn off that Texas flag backlit bar sometimes, so those may help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wrote this in 2012

Battery
                              I'm sure mentioning this will kill my Battery's ..I have a 03 dodge with HO *** ..bought new in 02 It still has original batterys in it ..There Mopar (think built by DelCo) the maint free/with the Eye thats green when good, red when bad...I know there days are numbered and to top it off I have never cleaned the batt post on either side.Still look like new...I figger leave well enough alone..cva34

Comment

Working...
                              X