6.5 Grendel Hunting Bullet Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
    Would that cause it stick in the extractor? why only federal ammo?
    Different gas volumes from different powders that will affect the bolt velocity.

Anytime there is either an extraction failure, fail to cock hammer or lockback issue this is where I start.

Fail to feed I look at the magazine first then the gas block.

Comment

Would that cause it stick in the extractor? why only federal ammo?
      Couple other questions.

1. How old is the upper?
      2. Are you shooting it wet?

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
        Couple other questions.

1. How old is the upper?
        2. Are you shooting it wet?
        Upper is brand new? Only has about 120 rounds through it so far.

What do you mean "wet"? Sorry, i'm new to the gas guns.
        Last edited by Kenner97; 02-20-2018, 03:39 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Upper is brand new? Only has about 120 rounds through it so far.

What do you mean "wet"? Sorry, i'm new to the gas guns.
          New guns take a couple hundred rounds to break in. Shoot 50 or so rounds then clean it, then shoot again.

Wet means shoot with lots of oil in the BCG. This is needed even more when the gun is new.

Sometimes just shooting a gun will fix this issue. I would not make any drastic changes until the round count gets closer to 200.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
            New guns take a couple hundred rounds to break in. Shoot 50 or so rounds then clean it, then shoot again.

Wet means shoot with lots of oil in the BCG. This is needed even more when the gun is new.

Sometimes just shooting a gun will fix this issue. I would not make any drastic changes until the round count gets closer to 200.
            Thanks for all the info.
            I’ll try running it wet.

Do you think the accuracy will get better after 200 rounds or so.
            It shoots the hornady SST’s decent at a little over a 1”. It puts 3 or so really good then have a flier or 2. It might be the first round or the last but messes the group up.

Comment

Thanks for all the info.
              I’ll try running it wet.

Do you think the accuracy will get better after 200 rounds or so.
              It shoots the hornady SST’s decent at a little over a 1”. It puts 3 or so really good then have a flier or 2. It might be the first round or the last but messes the group up.
              It all depends on the barrel. High quality barrels need almost no break in. The upper I just built my dad is broken in after on 10 shots. I have barrels with 100-200 rounds through them that are not as smooth and broken in as his is after 10.

Low quality barrels will have more tooling marks to smooth out and will take longer to fall into good groups.

These are generalities and individual results will differ. Hand loading will help find accuracy as well.

And it has always been.......if it will not shoot AA 120 NBT sub MOA there are barrel issues.

Bedding barrels and blocks will help too!

Comment

Got to try the Hornady Black on a 175lb pig last week out of my new budget upper. Shot in shoulder on entrance, exited right behind shoulder on off side. She dropped in her tracks after shot, got up after about 10 seconds and ran about 80 yards before laying back down. Entrance and exit holes were pretty much the same size... it just zipped right through her, not much blood. Not really impressed with it for a hunting round on my first attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                  Got to try the Hornady Black on a 175lb pig last week out of my new budget upper. Shot in shoulder on entrance, exited right behind shoulder on off side. She dropped in her tracks after shot, got up after about 10 seconds and ran about 80 yards before laying back down. Entrance and exit holes were pretty much the same size... it just zipped right through her, not much blood. Not really impressed with it for a hunting round on my first attempt.
                  120gr NBT

Comment

123 eld match has been awesome for me. Multiple dead animals this past season none ran off. Good exits for me 3 deer 3hogs including a 180-200 pound boar shot in the shoulder was drt.

Comment

Working...
                    X