How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy Munson View Post
    How was lodging and did you hook up with any bones or were you only permit fishing?
    There are several options for lodging in/out of town that are clean and cheap. Also, some nice houses down the beach for rent if you want to do that sort of thing. I think the Dive Center where we stay is pretty hard to beat when it comes to cost, convenience etc.

We focus on Permit, but If you want to catch bones you could literally do that all day. There are bonefish everywhere. Back in January we spent the first half of the first day chasing bones and probably caught 20. The thing is, most are small. They do have good bones down there, you just have to find them. Right after I caught that permit a few weeks ago, my buddy caught two bonefish between 3-4 pounds off the back of a ray. There are also plenty of other species to keep you busy. Cuda, triggerfish, jacks, Snook and tarpon if you want to find them. We keep rods rigged for bones, permit/triggers and cuda on the boat, but focus on Permit.

Are you interested in going? If so, shoot me a PM and I can answer any other questions/give some more details.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
      A buddy and I had a trip booked with Steve Hancock back in 2014. He's out of Key West. However, the first tropical storm of the year cancelled our trip. It was the vacation from Hell. If the tropical storm wasn't enough it turned out being gay pride week in the Keys Be careful we were there June 3-7. Steve's email is stevenmhancock@netzero.net.
      Ha! Went to Palm Springs with the wifey in November and they were having a big gay pride dealio there that weekend too. Talk about weird. Those "people" were everywhere. Definitely gonna do more research next time we plan a trip anywhere in California.

Comment

Got out yesterday afternoon with my dad to a couple ponds in their area. Great afternoon before the wind started cooling it off. Got a couple bass, largest about 1.5lb. Was my first time using my new TFO bvk 5wt and that rod is a lot of fun!

Side question:
        For the folks on here that build rods, how did you get started? I want to get into it but it’s a ton of info and I have no idea where to start

Comment

Any of you guys ever try the Blue River in Oklahoma? I'm in Dallas and it is not too far. Never been there though.

Comment

Originally posted by yaqui View Post
            Any of you guys ever try the Blue River in Oklahoma? I'm in Dallas and it is not too far. Never been there though.
            I’ve always had a great time there and in my experiences don’t see a fraction of the crowd you do at broken bow.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
              I’ve always had a great time there and in my experiences don’t see a fraction of the crowd you do at broken bow.

Where do you walk in? Do you go up river or down? What about fly selection?

Comment

Originally posted by yaqui View Post
                Where do you walk in? Do you go up river or down? What about fly selection?
                There is a main lot that I always park at and walk up river. For flies it depends on time of year but different nymphs, occasionally have had decent dry fly bites with hoppers, stimulators, bwo. If I’m running a dropper a red, purple or zebra midge seems to be consistent year round.

I’ve always used similar flies to BB if you’ve fished up there.

Comment

If you are going to the blue soon, please let me know. I've been dying to get up there. They started stocking in November so it should be awesome by now.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                    If you are going to the blue soon, please let me know. I've been dying to get up there. They started stocking in November so it should be awesome by now.
                    I’ve been wanting to hit up the Blue also but never seem to allocate the time.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                      You don’t have to wait for the stocking. I’ve fishing it through late spring/early summer and it’s productive.

Whenever I’m in Ok to see customers I make an excuse for an extra day so I get to fish at least half a day

Comment

Alright everyone I'm finally in a position to start looking for a saltwater flats piling skiff. I figured someone here would have advice on where to start and what to avoid. Trout and reds mostly but do head South for a little snook action on occasion. Any thoughts are appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                          Alright everyone I'm finally in a position to start looking for a saltwater flats piling skiff. I figured someone here would have advice on where to start and what to avoid. Trout and reds mostly but do head South for a little snook action on occasion. Any thoughts are appreciated

So many options and so many good skiffs out there. Looking at used or new?

Comment

I'm looking at used, honestly where I fish I don't think there are enough good days a year to justify buying a new one.

Comment

I'm looking at used, honestly where I fish I don't think there are enough good days a year to justify buying a new one.

Used poling skiffs are usually very well taken care of, so I really don't see a reason to buy new unless you just can't find what you wanted on the used market. What area are you usually fishing where you don't get enough good days? If you don't mind me asking.

Comment

I currently own a Mitzi and it’s not a bad starter skiff for the money. Options are endless just like any other Boat. I bought used since I didn’t know how long I would own this one. My set up is a 17’ tournament with a Yamaha 70 hp 4 stroke. Runs lower mid 30’s max.

Maverick, hells bay, east cape and chittum are all good choices with different models to look at. They get very pricey though never thought I’d see a 17’ skiff that was 70k....they exist. Look at Sabine skiffs as well. Local guys that make aluminum skiffs, pretty sweet.

Current set up...came with a trolling motor when I bought and Ive added a power pole since the pic was taken.

Comment

Working...
                                X