Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 03-09-2019, 06:16 PM   #1
jhbarc
Six Point

Hunt In: Burkeville Texas Newton County
Default Lindsey Graham backs Gun Confiscation Law

CNN reported that Graham has long supported red flag laws, which allow a court to issue firearm confiscation orders for individuals deemed a threat to themselves or others.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...fiscation-law/
jhbarc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2019, 06:46 PM   #2
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

. There the Lindsay graham we all know and despise.
These red flag laws are ridiculous. No due process. Based on complete hearsay. Soon the leftists will be scouring Internet forums like this one to find gun enthusiasts to red flag. What about the millions of responsible gun owners who also take an anti-depressant or some other prescription that helps them. That’s where this is going guys.
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2019, 07:30 PM   #3
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

I have been to several residences over the last 18 years and dealt with individuals who had no business having access to guns.......that's what these laws are for and I dont have a problem with them if they require a well documented history with the individual.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #4
cuttingedge
Ten Point

Hunt In: hardly at all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
I have been to several residences over the last 18 years and dealt with individuals who had no business having access to guns.......that's what these laws are for and I dont have a problem with them if they require a well documented history with the individual.
Only thing, In too many of the mass shootings and terroristic activities, people in authority dropped the ball and the perpetrators "slipped through the cracks". I say how about we get the authorities to do a better and more thorough job before we take guns away from law abiding citizens.
cuttingedge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2019, 08:15 PM   #5
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingedge View Post
Only thing, In too many of the mass shootings and terroristic activities, people in authority dropped the ball and the perpetrators "slipped through the cracks". I say how about we get the authorities to do a better and more thorough job before we take guns away from law abiding citizens.
X-2
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2019, 09:56 PM   #6
Clay C
Ten Point

Default Lindsey Graham backs Gun Confiscation Law

Quote:

All laws are abused. I don’t think anyone would disagree with that. The left thinks wanting to own a gun is a sign of mental illness. People in the center and even a lot of Republicans think that owning anything other than and 870 and 30-06 is crazy. They have already attempted, at the state level, to make purchase of a firearm or ammo as reasonable suspicion to enact these laws.

You are essentially giving your sister with a “Feel the Bern 2020” sign in her yard free reign to have cops come and seize your guns at gun point the next time you get in an argument with her.

I have zero doubt that many lawmakers backing these things have good intentions. However the others regularly exclaim they are coming for our guns. The road to hell was paved with good intentions and all that.

Due process after a Right has already been violated is not due process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2019, 10:12 PM   #7
Charles
Pope & Young

Bad policy that will be abused.

Give an inch, take a mile comes to mind.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2019, 10:23 PM   #8
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Over yonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post

Due process after a Right has already been violated is not due process.

That is the problem.
Due process should take place first, then if solid intel is found the process should continue. The red flag laws do this backwards. Some Joe Blow calls & says whatever they want & then they take your guns, THEN they research it to look for proof that the complaint is founded.
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2019, 10:48 PM   #9
CEO
Pope & Young

Quote:
All laws are abused. I don’t think anyone would disagree with that. The left thinks wanting to own a gun is a sign of mental illness.
I saw a British skit once where the man (Mr Bean I believe) in charge of issuing firearms permits said anyone who wishes to have a firearm clearly isn't suited to have one. That is exactly the attitude you speak of.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2019, 11:19 PM   #10
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingedge View Post
Winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2019, 11:24 PM   #11
UncleBubba
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dickens, Hunt, and Red River Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

X2!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UncleBubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #12
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

The narcissism of politics knows no bounds. From either side it comes. Way way more from the left side but its coming from both sides and must be resisted at all costs.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #13
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
So, why cant I carry a firearm daily, with out permission?

Pure stupidity

Well we certainly should be able to.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:03 PM   #14
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Quote:
Well we certainly should be able to.

**** right! There are 13 states operating under constitutional carry. As it should be.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:33 PM   #15
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
So, why cant I carry a firearm daily, with out permission?

Pure stupidity
Cause we allowed politicians to do away with due process and now you have to prove that you can carry a firearm, instead of them proving that you shouldn't be able to?
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #16
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
Cause we allowed politicians to do away with due process and now you have to prove that you can carry a firearm, instead of them proving that you shouldn't be able to?
He kinda proved my point for me, didn’t he?
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2019, 08:09 PM   #17
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
He kinda proved my point for me, didn’t he?
NO, I proved that gov. has been infringing on my rights since before i was born,only, unlike a red flag law i have no recourse.
Go get your tin foil hat
Old 03-10-2019, 08:24 PM   #18
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
NO, I proved that gov. has been infringing on my rights since before i was born,only, unlike a red flag law i have no recourse.
Go get your tin foil hat
Other than you have to prove your innocence in the case of the red flag laws, instead of the govt proving guilt, which is how it is supposed to work. And a CHL is the recourse in you earlier statement
Old 03-10-2019, 09:09 PM   #19
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Other than you have to prove your innocence in the case of the red flag laws, instead of the govt proving guilt, which is how it is supposed to work. And a CHL is the recourse in you earlier statement
I dont want a CHL and according to the 2nd amendment I should not have to get a chl
( chl being the permission I referred to earlier)
Red flag laws are not an open invitation for law to take your guns. They give ( with permission from a judge upon providing evidence from law enforcement) to remove them until it can be taken to court.
Tin foil hats will say all I have to do is call pd and say your a nut and poof weapons gone. That's stupidity and does not happen.
But it dont matter to me, yall can believe what you want .
Old 03-10-2019, 09:22 PM   #20
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
I dont want a CHL and according to the 2nd amendment I should not have to get a chl

[Agree with your point, but the CHL is the recourse

Red flag laws are not an open invitation for law to take your guns. They give ( with permission from a judge upon providing evidence from law enforcement) to remove them until it can be taken to court.
Tin foil hats will say all I have to do is call pd and say your a nut and poof weapons gone. That's stupidity and does not happen.

Actually has happened and a man was shot and killed when the police showed up to take his guns that a family member said he shouldn't have.
Also, since when is showing a judge some info considered proven in a court of law, hell that even a grand jury.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:57 PM   #21
Charles
Pope & Young

Quote:
It will be abused just like the fisa court was recently abused.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:45 PM   #22
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:
This isn’t tin foil hat as you call it. We already have “red flag” laws in the divorce court. My experience was, based on my wife’s testimony I shouldn’t have any guns, I posed a threat to her. Never mind she was the one abusing pain meds, and no history of domestic abuse. Luckily, I expected her to move her pawn and I moved my king in advance and “sold” all of my guns to a friend, so they were no longer in my possession. I was never given the chance to argue my side. Clearly there would have been no order because I would have been able to show the judge a “bill of sale”, but that’s not what happened.

All worked out for me in the end, but it could have been terrible
Old 03-11-2019, 07:27 AM   #23
overcomer401965
Eight Point

"Show me the man, I will show you the crime"
overcomer401965 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #24
Clay C
Ten Point

So let's say this passes. What will be the solution next time a mass shooting happens that wasn't prevented by Red Flag Laws?
Old 03-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #25
flywise
Pope & Young

How many of you have years of experience dealing with psychotic people on a weekly basis?
How many of you have had to tackle a man going for a gun on the night stand next to his bed?

Could it be that your opinions stem from never or very rarely having to deal with the individuals that these laws are meant to deal with?
Old 03-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #26
AndrewIBEW
Four Point

Hunt In: Votaw

Quote:
How many of you have years of experience dealing with psychotic people on a weekly basis?
How many of you have had to tackle a man going for a gun on the night stand next to his bed?

Could it be that your opinions stem from never or very rarely having to deal with the individuals that these laws are meant to deal with?
Except the majority of the time its law abiding citizens that are affected. Criminals will never follow the law anyways. Red flag laws wont stop a psychotic person from getting a gun, and youll still be going in to their house to take their gun.
AndrewIBEW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #27
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewIBEW View Post
Except the majority of the time its law abiding citizens that are affected. Criminals will never follow the law anyways. Red flag laws wont stop a psychotic person from getting a gun, and youll still be going in to their house to take their gun.
Has nothing to do with criminals
Old 03-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #28
AndrewIBEW
Four Point

Hunt In: Votaw

Quote:
Has nothing to do with criminals
Point is you're still going to be going in to houses confiscating guns so I don't understand the argument being made. You think the law will prevent psychotic people from getting a firearm? That's not what the law is intended for. If a background check cant do that, what other law do we need?
AndrewIBEW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #29
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:

No law has ever stopped a criminal from a criminal act, perpetrators gonna perpetrate, yo.

Laws only affect law abiding citizens, and until someone does something illegal, they are a law abiding citizen. That is part of the danger of a free society and a danger that many, myself included are willing to risk.

Could it be, that dealing with criminals everyday has jaded your viewpoint to the point that you see everyone as a criminal until they prove to you that they are not? Even to the point of stripping them of a Constitutional right, until they can prove the negative, that they have broken no laws (hmm, seems impossible right). And all for a false sense of security, sounds like some good old liberal logic.....
Old 03-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #30
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
No law has ever stopped a criminal from a criminal act, perpetrators gonna perpetrate, yo.

Laws only affect law abiding citizens, and until someone does something illegal, they are a law abiding citizen. That is part of the danger of a free society and a danger that many, myself included are willing to risk.

Could it be, that dealing with criminals everyday has jaded your viewpoint to the point that you see everyone as a criminal until they prove to you that they are not? Even to the point of stripping them of a Constitutional right, until they can prove the negative, that they have broken no laws (hmm, seems impossible right). And all for a false sense of security, sounds like some good old liberal logic.....
I dont deal with criminals, I am a fireman. I know laws will not stop criminals.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #31
Charles
Pope & Young

More people die each year from drunk drivers than guns. Let's pass a law that if you might drink and drive your right to drive is taken away.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #32
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
More people die each year from drunk drivers than guns. Let's pass a law that if you might drink and drive your right to drive is taken away.
How about this Flywise? I assume as a Firefighter you also run EMS/MVC emergency calls. I also suspect you deal with more DWI’s than crazies with guns. Does Charles proposition make sense? Would it save lives? Make your job easier?
Old 03-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #33
jer_james
Pope & Young

I think its ridiculous to think a crazy person can call in and have your guns taken away. That is simply not true.

The Govt needs to do a better job at everything is what this all comes down to.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #34
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
I think its ridiculous to think a crazy person can call in and have your guns taken away. That is simply not true.

The Govt needs to do a better job at everything is what this all comes down to.
It’s not ridiculous. As stated, it has already happened. It was in Pennsylvania if I’m not mistaken.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 10:14 PM   #35
flywise
Pope & Young

Me and Jer_james agre on something
Old 03-11-2019, 11:18 PM   #36
Draco
Pope & Young

Quote:
Me and Jer_james agre on something
That's scary.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 11:21 PM   #37
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
That's scary.
lol no doubt buddy
Old 03-12-2019, 11:19 AM   #38
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
That's scary.
Hey now! Not in all cases!
Old 03-12-2019, 12:02 PM   #39
Playa
Pope & Young

Yeah there won’t be any abuse of this

“If you post it on social media, that’s probable cause for us to come get the guns out of your house,” Democrat Florida State Senator Jason Pizzo proclaimed in a Facebook video three years ago. “That’s it. It’s now on you to explain why you have a gun in your house and why it’s on social media…” Jason Pizzo, FL democratic state senator.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #40
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

This is a slippery slope. Totally bypasses due process.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #41
NaClH2O_therapy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton County, Matagorda County

Anyone who submits, helps promote or agrees with these unconstitutional ideas should be considered a traitor.
NaClH2O_therapy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #42
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClH2O_therapy View Post
Anyone who submits, helps promote or agrees with these unconstitutional ideas should be considered a traitor.
Lol
Old 03-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #43
jer_james
Pope & Young

- HEY 9-1-1 This is Jane Doe

- Yes maam, what's your emergency

- My crazy ex husband/boy friend has guns - can you go get them?

- Sure we can - will be right there asap ...

- Dont you need his address?

- Nah, hes already on the list - thank you maam.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #44
Charles
Pope & Young

-HEY 9-1-1 This is Charles
-Yes Sir, what's your emergency
-jer james and Texanfan have guns - can you go get them?
-Sure we can
-Do you need their addresses?
-Nah, we already have them as they are in our data base as noted liberals.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:38 PM   #45
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
-Sure we can

Old 03-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #46
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Quote:
-Sure we can

CHARLES! Don’t speak that name. It’s been really nice here the last few weeks.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:06 PM   #47
Smell the Glove
Ten Point

This is a very bad idea. Anybody that doesn’t realize that is being incredibly flippant regarding how politicians and law enforcement could abuse this in the long term.
Smell the Glove is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 10:21 PM   #48
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smell the Glove View Post
This is a very bad idea. Anybody that doesn’t realize that is being incredibly flippant regarding how politicians and law enforcement could abuse this in the long term.
Yep.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 10:34 PM   #49
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Careful with the personal insults. Infractions avoided only because I didn't want to read through everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 10:53 PM   #50
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Even the boss thinks that being called a liberal is an insult. SWEET!
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top