Educate me on scopes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educate me on scopes

I have been bow hunting sense I was 10. I own 2 rifles. One is a lever action old Henry, the other is an AR15 with a red dot sight. I have minimal knowledge when it comes to guns, bullets, or scopes.

My dad has a Sako .308 that's 10-12 years old and never left the box. The thing has never even had a scope put on it. I now have access to some property where they do a lot of rifle hunting so I'm wanting to get me a scope for this .308 so that I have a nice shooter to bring with me when I go down there.

Help me out... Consider me totally ignorant. I don't know what any of the magnification means, which means I have no idea what to put on this thing! The only thing I have the slightest clue about is what brands make good glass... This will be a hunting gun, so I'm not looking for a 1,000 yard scope. It would be cool to have something capable of 400-500 yard range for pigs, but deer will be kept under 200 yards. What would be a good fit for me here?

What’s your budget?

That’ll narrow it down big time and help with suggestions

Comment

What’s your budget?

Comment

Budget will be a huge factor as mentioned.

Something in the 3-15 power range would do anything you are asking. A large objective such as 44mm or higher would be preferred also. So the scope description would look something like:

3-15x44

Or

4-18x50

Leupold makes good glass but without a price range it’s hard to make recommendations

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I haven't really figured a budget. I understand a gun is only as good as the scope you put on it. If I gotta rat hole a little cash to get what I need I'll do that... I figured it would cost me around 1200 bucks. I'm not stuck with a budget just yet though. I got a while to rat hole some cash!! lol

Comment

1200 will get you some really nice scopes for that gun. I would take 200 of that and get a nice set of rings and bases. Then drop 1000 on the scope itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Vx5hd 3x15x44

Under budget and more scope than it sounds like you would even need
              Last edited by bphillips; 02-09-2018, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                I haven't really figured a budget. I understand a gun is only as good as the scope you put on it. If I gotta rat hole a little cash to get what I need I'll do that... I figured it would cost me around 1200 bucks. I'm not stuck with a budget just yet though. I got a while to rat hole some cash!! lol
                For 1200 I’d look at a leupold VX5HD 3-15, Swaro Z5, Zeiss V6 3-18 demo

Look at the features and see what fits your needs.

Glass quality, reticle, weight, turrets, etc.

Comment

Find that budget. Then it'll be easy to help you

If you are only using it for hunting you don't need a $1200 scope
                  I got mine off here from the classifieds for $180. New for $230 (I think). Vortex and its the best I've ever owned.

There is a Vortex dealer on here as well. Gives good discounts from what i was told

Comment

sent you a pm i live close by

Comment

The VX5HD 3-15 would be an excellent choice for that.

Comment

Not a fan here of High power over 9...reasons big, bulky,heavy,at range without sandbags almost imposible to settle down crosshairs or dead sled at high power..Give me a Leo 2-7 or 3-9 for hunting its got more field of view at low power ,no parallax adj,resonably priced compact...Just m2c

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                          Vx5hd 3x15x44

Put this in a set of Talley rings and you'll be set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                            Vx5hd 3x15x44

^^ this

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                              Put this in a set of Talley rings and you'll be set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                              Or the Sako Optilocks

Comment

Working...
                              X