Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How accurate is an AK at 300 yds for hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
    Now multiply that by x3 to get the BEST POSSIBLE group at 300 yards lol.
    In all likelihood the group would be much more than 3 time the size though.
    Would I be fine with a ~8" group to fire at a hog? Probably.
    Would I be fine with a ~8" group to fire at a 170" 12 point? Probably not.
    At 300 yards its dropping ~25 inches with a 100 yard zero.

OP if a semi auto 200-300 yard hunting rig what you want there are MUCH better options out there than an AK in x39 including those with cheap ammo if thats what you're attempting to obtain.
    Yeah.... I never said I would recommend it for a 300 yard gun. Although now I’m curious how mine would shoot with a decent scope (it currently has a bushnell 1-4) and good ammo at 300....

Mostly a retort to the “AK won’t hit a pickup at 50 yards” crowd.

Comment

I have an AR in 7.62x39, it is MOA or under with most ammo to 100 meters, I haven't put it on paper any further than that. It has a Shaw barrel and shoots just as good as my CZ 527 in the same caliber. I had an AK several years ago, a Romanian? maybe, I think it had a forged rather than stamped receiver. Anyway, I didn't shoot it much before it went away. My Mossberg 500 with a red dot and slugs would beat it all day in the accuracy department...lol

Comment

Do they have cheap .308 ammo like wolf etc?

Rick

Comment

I did find some cheap .308 ammo. Something else to consider. You guys will think I am a goofball. I dont know if I have ever shot .308 how do they kick compared to a .270?

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by thehairlessone! View Post
            I did find some cheap .308 ammo. Something else to consider. You guys will think I am a goofball. I dont know if I have ever shot .308 how do they kick compared to a .270?

Rick
            Being a 270 is based on a 3006 case, a long action and the 308 is a short action. I would say the 270 kicks harder based just on a larger powder charge. Then again. Bullet weight has a lot to do with it.

Comment

Rick
              It's not bad at all. Bout the same as a .270, as stated above. The .260 Rem & 6.5 Creedmoor are also a great rounds that are very comparable to a .270 using 129/130 grain bullets and a lot of gun makers have adopted them in their semi auto rifle offerings. In my opinion, the 6.5 CM and .260 kick a little less than than the .308 & .270 when using standard ammo.
              Last edited by Fmjag64; 07-08-2020, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Rick
                A .308 semi auto has considerably less felt recoil than .270 bolt gun from my experience.
                Additionally, if you're going to go with a .308 AR (AR10) its typically going to be little heavier than a bolt gun so that will take some of the recoil out of it. AR10's also have standard threaded barrels and recoil buffer systems that mitigate recoil even further. Get a muzzle brake (or even better, a suppressor) if you're worried about recoil and that will tame it down to nothing.

Rick, if you're looking for a 300-400 yard semi auto hunting gun with cheap ammo, good accuracy, and light recoil I think an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel is exactly what you're looking for.
                They have some ammo out there thats pretty cheap in addition to plenty of nicer loads.
                It comes in a standard AR frame as well which makes it much handier than an AR10.
                Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 07-08-2020, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Been thinking about getting another AR for hunting purposes but I also really like the AK platform. I dont care about accuracy at 500 + yds but wondering how accurate an AK would be at 200-300 yds if you are hog hunting, deer hunting etc.

I do like the customization of the AR platform a lot though. Hard to decide.

Rick
                  According to Hornady their 7.62x39 is 14 low at 300 when zeroed for 200, so flat enough. I do think 300 is on the far end for an AK deer rifle as the round is pretty low on steam at those distances. Now 200 yards i feel its good to go. So you just have to decide if that is far enough for you, it generally is for almost everyone, but IDK your specific needs. I like the Ak, and in some ways prefer it over the AR. So there are my opinions based on experience.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
                    A .308 semi auto has considerably less felt recoil than .270 bolt gun from my experience.
                    Additionally, if you're going to go with a .308 AR (AR10) its typically going to be little heavier than a bolt gun so that will take some of the recoil out of it. AR10's also have standard threaded barrels and recoil buffer systems that mitigate recoil even further. Get a muzzle brake (or even better, a suppressor) if you're worried about recoil and that will tame it down to nothing.

Rick, if you're looking for a 300-400 yard semi auto hunting gun with cheap ammo, good accuracy, and light recoil I think an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel is exactly what you're looking for.
                    They have some ammo out there thats pretty cheap in addition to plenty of nicer loads.
                    It comes in a standard AR frame as well which makes it much handier than an AR10.
                    I have been looking for one used in Missouri. They are hard to find. I will keep my eyes open. Thanks for the info

Rick

Comment

I think I am going to get a 7.62 AR and then get a 6.5 Grendel upper if I decide to go that route. Thanks for all the help guys.

Rick

Comment

I have both an AK and several Ar's. The 7.62 isn't going all that fast at 300 yards and reduced energy should be accompanied with very good accuracy to be effective. My AK will however stay on a silhouette target at 300 yards, barely. It is not scoped though but with either of My Ar's using their peep sights I can almost ke3ep my rounds on the head part of the silhouette target.

Comment

Working...
                        X