No announcement yet.

Worst eating wild game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’d have to go with sheep, javelina, and porcupine, in no certain order. They are all awful!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Worst eating wild game

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
      I'm going to make the same comment I made on the other thread...

Gonna be more about the cook than the critter.

In fact, i'll just come out and say it. Certainly some critters don't "eat" as well as others... flavor, sinew, and fat profile play a pretty big role... but I am going to say that without a doubt, most folks just plain don't know how to cook. Sure you can cook a good burger or steak, but beyond that, your skills are likely lacking. I am not saying I know how to cook great... but I know when the result of a dish is because of my lack of skill in that department.

I imagine that you've had some really nice cuts of some exotic critters cooked for you and cooked correctly... whereas you probably tried and cooked jack rabbit or javi all by yourself and messed up.

A jack rabbit that is been slow cooked and braised is some amazing tasting stuff, and is better than most of the "pot roasts" I've eaten at eating establishments.

With that being said, the worst eating wild critter I have had was rattle snake. Nothing wrong with it really, but I had to chose one and that one I had a harder time prepping, etc. I grilled it and it was a bit rubbery. I bet there is a better way to attack it.

Jack Rabbit is good, Javi is good... Now that I have learned out to prep it correctly, fried wild turkey is amazing and has become one of my favorites over the past couple years. Before I learned out how to cook it, it was too tough and dry.

Again, it's more the cook than the critter.

Just because you think it tastes good does not mean everyone else has to like it too! Every time this comes up, you tell everyone how it’s just because they don’t know how to cook as good as you do, and that if it was cooked “right” they would like it!

How come it can’t be that some folks just don’t like some things, and so they don’t want to eat them????

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by kurt68 View Post
        Bear!
        X1000!
        A friend of my dad’s brought us a whole mess of black bear meat back when I was in high school. It was so nasty my dad accused him of bringing us just the a**! I’m talking rank!

Ate some grilled possum a cousin of mine cooked while in college. It tasted like sh** but I would eat my weight in it before chewing on black bear again!

Comment

Mullet on the half shell

Comment

Javelina and Jackrabbit

Comment

Definitely merganser. I'll never shoot another one of those things unless I plan on putting it on the wall. Also my brother killed some kind of sheep that wasn't good but they left it hanging outside overnight with temperature over 50 degrees so that might have something to do with it

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                Just because you think it tastes good does not mean everyone else has to like it too! Every time this comes up, you tell everyone how it’s just because they don’t know how to cook as good as you do, and that if it was cooked “right” they would like it!

How come it can’t be that some folks just don’t like some things, and so they don’t want to eat them????

Bisch

I will admit... I was a little "loopy" when I typed that and still am. But you and I have had this discussion before. It's something that I talk alot about and am passionate about when it comes up. I think it is somewhat unfair that some critters get dismissed so easily because they don't taste like this or that. They get labeled as crappy food. Some people don't even try. Its one of those things that you cant argue because it is so subjective.

Crawfish is a good example... people love em... people hate em.. prepare it right and probably more people who have tried em and didn't like em, would actually like them.

But there is a trend... for these "lowly eating" critters... there aren't any good recipes out there for folks... and lets be real... people like deer because they can mostly take it to a processor.

So yeah... I will jump on my soapbox everytime somebody says a certain meat is absolutely unedible... at least I am being consistent

I

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Javelina
                  Aoudad
                  Mergansers
                  Hardhead catfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've never ate any wild game that a I absolutely hated but I'm careful in choosing what I eat...

That being said I've read all of these posts and I cant help but wonder "what were some of you thinking"???? Some of yall must have been starving, double dared or drunk to be eating some of these critters... I love salad but just because its green doesn't mean its fit to eat!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Having trouble understanding all the snow goose hate and for first time in my life heard of someone not liking dove.

Any diving Duck is nasty.

Comment

I really like javelina sausage ( summer, snack sticks, chorizo, Italian, breakfast) it's good cooked other ways, just the cuts of meat are so small it's hard to do anything else with it. Rattle snake I have eaten a number of times, prepared differant ways, its not great, but I ate it. And will again. Ducks, geese, rabbit, and squirrel I have had a lot of differant ways, and really don't care for any of it. ( not a fan of any pressure cooked meals either, stews or roasts either). But I do wish they would allow more then two javelina per year. I get mine and my sons, and a few friends that don't want there's, but we still run out by next year.( a lot of people I work with, want the sausage so I give them a few rolls per year). I have had mountain lion a few times, some cuts taste just like pork, and the next bite may taste terrible. We have eaten some strange stuff when my dad was around. Deer, and elk brains, tongue, kidney, nuts, some weren't bad. Some I will never eat again.

Comment

I still think you Aoudad haters are crazy. [emoji3]
                          If nothing else it makes fine jerky.

-------------------------------
                          Violence never settles anything
                          -Genghis Kahn

Comment

Coon.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                              I still think you Aoudad haters are crazy. [emoji3]
                              If nothing else it makes fine jerky.

-------------------------------
                              Violence never settles anything
                              -Genghis Kahn
                              I’ve told this story on here before. I have always heard that aoudad is terrible. When I shot my old ram we did not keep the meat. The rancher enjoyed making jerky so we gave it to him without trying any.

Last Fall I attended a wild game dinner and one vendor was cooking aoudad. He had smoked aoudad and fried aoudad. It was the best food there! The fried was like chicken-fried steak. I went back for seconds. The bbq aoudad tasted fine but was a little chewy for my liking so I only sampled one piece of it.
                              Maybe they used a young ewe or 6 month old lamb...I don’t know...but it couldn’t believe how good it was based on everything bad I’ve read and heard about it.

Comment

Pretty much ram and javelina meat for me.

I'm sorry, good cook or bad cook...if you have to wrap in bacon, soak in buttermilk, mix in chili or gumbo, etc., those are ways of either masking unwanted flavors or tenderizing an otherwise tough piece of meat; sometimes both.

Perhaps I'm just lazy, but if a meat isn't at least somewhat edible grilled or baked with nothing more than a little salt and pepper; I'm not going to put it very high on my list.

Fish the same way. Some meats are just more tender and have better natural flavor than others.

Comment

Working...
                                X