No announcement yet.

Worst eating wild game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to make the same comment I made on the other thread...

Gonna be more about the cook than the critter.

In fact, i'll just come out and say it. Certainly some critters don't "eat" as well as others... flavor, sinew, and fat profile play a pretty big role... but I am going to say that without a doubt, most folks just plain don't know how to cook. Sure you can cook a good burger or steak, but beyond that, your skills are likely lacking. I am not saying I know how to cook great... but I know when the result of a dish is because of my lack of skill in that department.

I imagine that you've had some really nice cuts of some exotic critters cooked for you and cooked correctly... whereas you probably tried and cooked jack rabbit or javi all by yourself and messed up.

A jack rabbit that is been slow cooked and braised is some amazing tasting stuff, and is better than most of the "pot roasts" I've eaten at eating establishments.

With that being said, the worst eating wild critter I have had was rattle snake. Nothing wrong with it really, but I had to chose one and that one I had a harder time prepping, etc. I grilled it and it was a bit rubbery. I bet there is a better way to attack it.

Jack Rabbit is good, Javi is good... Now that I have learned out to prep it correctly, fried wild turkey is amazing and has become one of my favorites over the past couple years. Before I learned out how to cook it, it was too tough and dry.

Again, it's more the cook than the critter.

Comment

I'd like to see a thread that you have to list your worst/who cooked it... and best/who cooked it.

Comment

bb is pretty bad. Snow geese arent the best either. Those would be the top two that I have tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
          I've tried BB twice and didn't care for it either time. Not the worst...but not that great either.
          I killed a nice old Black buk, I deboned the meat and kept in ice for a couple days with the plug out of the cooler. I thought when the ice was melting it would flush out the meat. It was still nasty. But other people have told me its good eating. Auodad is awful, but I had a few tell me its real good. I have never liked any type of goat meat honestly.

Comment

Swamp. Try a 250# wild goat. If you find a way to cook it and say it taste good and you are doing something I can’t. I like Jack, carp, jackrabbit, turtle, frogs and plenty of insects prepared right. Old wild goat I don’t think is edible

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
              We tried eating a smallmouth buffalo (carp) once and it was awful.
              Interesting, I have always heard people say buffalo ribs were not that bad. I haven't tried it, probably never will either..

Comment

Hooded Merganser

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                  I'm going to make the same comment I made on the other thread...

Gonna be more about the cook than the critter.

In fact, i'll just come out and say it. Certainly some critters don't "eat" as well as others... flavor, sinew, and fat profile play a pretty big role... but I am going to say that without a doubt, most folks just plain don't know how to cook. Sure you can cook a good burger or steak, but beyond that, your skills are likely lacking. I am not saying I know how to cook great... but I know when the result of a dish is because of my lack of skill in that department.

I imagine that you've had some really nice cuts of some exotic critters cooked for you and cooked correctly... whereas you probably tried and cooked jack rabbit or javi all by yourself and messed up.

A jack rabbit that is been slow cooked and braised is some amazing tasting stuff, and is better than most of the "pot roasts" I've eaten at eating establishments.

With that being said, the worst eating wild critter I have had was rattle snake. Nothing wrong with it really, but I had to chose one and that one I had a harder time prepping, etc. I grilled it and it was a bit rubbery. I bet there is a better way to attack it.

Jack Rabbit is good, Javi is good... Now that I have learned out to prep it correctly, fried wild turkey is amazing and has become one of my favorites over the past couple years. Before I learned out how to cook it, it was too tough and dry.

Again, it's more the cook than the critter.
                  It is definitely knowing how to cook it. Smothered Jack Rabbit isn't bad. Ill take a cotton tail though, if I have a choice. Rattlesnake is just the smell that gets me. If I can make it past that, im good. Heck my step dad cooks stewed Nutria and most people love it, until they hear what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddct View Post
                    It is definitely knowing how to cook it. Smothered Jack Rabbit isn't bad. Ill take a cotton tail though, if I have a choice. Rattlesnake is just the smell that gets me. If I can make it past that, im good. Heck my step dad cooks stewed Nutria and most people love it, until they hear what it is.
                    Most of what I prefer comes down to can I personally cook it. Prefer rabbit over jacks and squirrels most times... but jack rabbit has a better flavor in the crock pot.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Waterbuck while gorgeous taste like caca

Comment

Tried grilled rattlesnake once also. Nope.

Comment

How are you defining game?

Lots of you guys have eaten crow plenty on here but I don't consider that game.

Comment

Rattlesnake. Greasy and chewy.

Comment

Beavers! Especially the ones with a winter coat

Comment

Muskrat

Comment

Working...
                                X