HOA frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOA frustration

Trying to have a patio and cover built in my backyard. A complete over sight on my contractor and I’s part, we over looked an HOA requirement for a 4:12 pitch roof on all patio covers built. Engineered plans came back with 2:12 pitch and engineer states the dimesions I want won’t work with the 4:12. Having to go and plead my case to the board of directors and hope they make an exception to the rules which as far as I can tell are in place for aesthetics and have nothing to do with code

That is why I hate HOA's. I'm sorry, but it is my house, my land, I bought and paid for it. You have no right or ability to tell me what I can and cannot do with my own property.

Comment

Originally posted by Terran28 View Post
      That is why I hate HOA's. I'm sorry, but it is my house, my land, I bought and paid for it. You have no right or ability to tell me what I can and cannot do with my own property.
      I’m right there with you and I would never live one, but all the people that do knew what they were getting when they bought there. Blows my mind all the folks who complain about the rules they agreed to on day one.

Comment

Hope it works out. HOA's have their good points but more bad than good.

Comment

HOAs are not responsible for and do not enforce building codes. Aesthetics is all they do.
          Buying a home in an active HOA subdivision has positives and negatives... this would be the latter.

Comment

My experience, and don’t take this as gospel or anything.

HOA’s are generally less concerned with what you to do the back of the house than they are with what you do to the front. Call it Curb Appeal if you want.

Word your plea carefully and you’ll have a better chance of approval of a variance, like “We don’t feel this will have a negative impact nor detract from the community”, things like that. Show them the plans and don’t be overly aggressive. You might be surprised at their response.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
              Hope it works out. HOA's have their good points but more bad than good.
              I definitely like not having my neighbor having a camero on cinder blocks in his front yard. Just a little frustrating that they have a rule in place for the pitch of a roof they can’t see from the street

Comment

Originally posted by Terran28 View Post
                Actually they do, because the developer who sold the land and gave the homeowner the right to live in the neighborhood says they do.....if not, they can not buy in said development and go live somewhere else.

Originally posted by Regular7 View Post
                I’m right there with you and I would never live one, but all the people that do knew what they were getting when they bought there. Blows my mind all the folks who complain about the rules they agreed to on day one.
                POA’s and HOA’s, in theory, are good for the neighborhood. But as with ours, they aren’t consistent with enforcement and they’re power needs to be controlled. With that said, I knew it was here when I bought my property, so it is what it is. I’m fine with it.

Comment

If they say no, become the HOA president.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                    If they say no, become the HOA president.
                    True!! But be careful what you wish for on that one. I was “elected”....selected as President of one when we lived in Pearland....wow, never again. That was a pain in the butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Regular7 View Post
                      Absolutely correct. You sign a document at closing stating that you have received a copy of the covenants and agree to abide by them. 90% of buyers don't read them before signing on the dotted line.
                      Hope they give op a variance. Most are reasonable.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

these threads crack me up - when you bought the property and closed on it the HOA rules were in place. You AGREED to the rules. If you did not like them then you should not buy the property.

Yes HOAs can get out of hand - but without any rules people in general will devalue your property big time.

Again - every property owner/buyer had a choice at purchase as to whether or not to agree to the HOA rules.

Comment

Why would they have a rule on the pitch of the patio cover and how would this devalue any other property.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
                            Why would they have a rule on the pitch of the patio cover and how would this devalue any other property.
                            you missed the point - it is irrelevant what the rule is - the person who bought the property signed off on all the rules - if they did not like the rules then do not buy. It is pretty cut and dry whether it is logical or not. Reminds me of folks who buy property near an existing airport and then complain about the planes going over their house. Buyer beware
                            Last edited by Huntingfool; 10-24-2018, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                              you missed the point - irrelevant what the rule is - the person who bought the property signed off on all the rules - if they did not like the rules then do not buy. It is pretty cut and dry whether it is logical or not
                              We get it bro. I should have read the rules and decided 3 years ago if I didn’t like the pitch rules, then I shouldn’t have moved into the neighborhood

Comment

Working...
                              X