Let's talk Prostate Cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redleif View Post
    Just a warning from my experience with prostate cancer. My PSA was normal (1.4) but my doctor felt something unusual with the rectal finger exam. After biopsy was confirmed that I had prostate cancer. I had PSA and digital exam every year. My cancer scored a Gleason score of 7, which meant we had to do something fast. Had robotic prostatectomy surgery. I had some other issues following surgery which I won't bore all with.
    My point is if you are over 50, you need to get an annual PSA test AND a digital rectum prostate exam.
    Do It.
    Yep. PSA is just an indicater and not foolproof. Glad you found it and took care of it!

Originally posted by venado View Post
    Glad to hear that you are on top of this thing.

I had PSAs as high as 13.2 and four of those lovely needle biopsies and they never found cancer. I have taken Proscar for about 15-20 years to lower PSA and it has hovered around 2.5 for many years. It is checked annually but in the back of my mind there is always an uneasy feeling until the latest PSA reading comes back. At my age, 84, it is unlikely that they would do anything even if they find I have it. Two of my friends that I alerted when I got the initial scare have found that they have had prostate cancer.

Listen to the man guys, get the PSA tests...!!
    Ouch! Those needle biopsies are certainly not fun! Hoping it does not show up!

Originally posted by 250AI View Post
    I just want to say thank you for starting this conversation. It is a subject that isn't talked about enough. I just want to add that you don't have to have cancer to have serious prostate issues. I know first hand. I've been at 7% kidney function. I know how close I was to really serious problems. As men we all come with a factory installed prostate. It is a fact that if you live long enough you are going to have prostate issues. Educate your self. The exams aren't something to look forward to but if you don't I can promise you the ones that come after aren't any better but they may save your life, don't put it off.
    Good point. There are other issues besides cancer that can cause prostate problems. Thanks for your imput.

Originally posted by Duane View Post
    Hate to hear that Randy. Praying for a full recovery.

I've been a regular patient at MD Anderson since May, and get bloodwork done every time I go in, but I honestly don't know whether or not they are checking PSA level. I don't see it in my online test results, but I don't know what most of those tests are anyway. I will certainly ask when I am in for another round of scans next month. I just turned 50 in September so I know I am due for testing. Thank you for the reminder.
    Darn it, Duane! Sorry you are having to deal with whatever and hope they get you fixed up. Certainly you are in good hands there! It is possible that they ran your PSA the first time they drew blood, and it was low so they never mentioned it. Prayers.

Thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement and prayers...and those funny comments. I really didn't start the thread to elicit sympathy or prayers, although I will accept all prayers that are offered. I simply wanted to alert our male members (no pun intended ) to stay alert, have your PSA checked so you can catch it early if it shows up and deal with it before spreading.

Comment

Prayers for fast recovery. Months of radiation and hormone shots for year after and my PSA is now showing undetectable. PSA checked every 6 months now. Have it checked guys!

Comment

Our thoughts, prayers, and support are with you Randy

You cleared it up once, do it again....

See you at Nanza in 19"

Comment

Keep KCA Randy

Glad to hear you are winning against that awful disease

Comment

Prayers for you, Randy and thanks for the reminder.
            I just turned 50 last month and have dreaded the extra checks that I will have to do. My dad has had issues for years but luckily not cancer. Because of this, I was told that I needed to start getting checked before 50 and I did. I just set up my physical for next week.

KCA!

Comment

Prayers for you. If you are a male and live long enough, you are going to have it at some point.

Comment

Had to robotic surgery in Jan 2005, PSA was a 3.1, with the biopsy showing precancerous cells in 2 of 14 sites. The cancer was contained within the prostate sack and had not spread. MY doctor was one of the doctors them pioneered the robotic surgery. Since the surgery my PSA level has basically been undetectable. I had none of the indicators or signs of cancer, we did the biopsy as a check before T injections. Prostate cancer is becoming more common every day. I am on the band wagon for frequent PSA checks and starting them long before you're in your 50's, by then it may be too late.

Comment

Man hate to hear this prayers up

Comment

Sorry you have to deal with this Randy. I have no doubt that you'll kick its arse. Keep us updated.

Comment

Prayers up and thanks for sharing your story.

Comment

I’m having great difficulty trying to get my 74 year old father to see a urologist.
                        He has been having prostate issues for years.
                        He recently had to get a folley catheter because he could not urinate for three days.
                        Now he is trying to figure out how to remove the catheter on his own.
                        He is paying his bills, feeding and taking care of himself and his dog so he is somewhat sane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Stay strong, Randy!

Comment

I am glad you are on top of it. I have had several good friends and a coworker fight and win. I skipped going a few years (about to be 59) going to the Dr, just busy with life and put it off, then a best friend calls and I find out he has been fighting it for 8 months. Fast growing case and he is doing the chemo. Eye opener! Went in the next day and had full scans run.

Thanks for bringing the topic up and out in the open. Prostrate exams and colonoscopies are simple and they can save our life!

Prayers sent!

Comment

KCA, sir!

Comment

Don't know him but Burnadell speaks the truth. I found out the family doc isn't the best source of information on this. Been going the same one for 15 years and he never suggested one or the finger waive. When i finally had a psa done it was 56. I had no symptoms. MD Anderson did a great job of removing it a couple years ago but now psa is .2 again and looking at radiation.

You need both the blood work and finger check. A friend's psa is 2.0 but the doc felt a lump and biopsy showed cancer.

This whole issue is down played by the docs thanks to the insurance industry trying to save money.

Comment

Working...
                                X