Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to Find Pups? Standard Poodle or Doodle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's relieving to hear some good stories about doodles.

We have a chocolate golden doodle that we purchased from a breeder north of Wichita Kansas. We love her but we won't have another one. She is by far the oddest dog we've ever owned. Just over a year old now and still struggling with potty training. She is very easily distracted when going outside, hard to handle on a leash, chases squirrels, and VERY uneasy about anything new. We don't know if maybe she doesn't see very well or what but she is very cautious if something appears in a place it normally isn't. Like a new fence, or a trash can, or a new person in the house that she's never met. We are dog people and have 5 other dogs right now (2 labs, 2 muts, and a yorkie.) The doodle and the yorkie are the only two who have free roam of the house since neither of them shed.

The yorkie on the other hand, is hands down he best dog we've ever had. I would highly recommend a yorkie for anyone looking for a house dog that doesn't shed (and willing to admit they own and love their yorkie.)

In talking to a few friends who have labradoodles or goldendoodles, I would generally categorize them as a higher energy dog. If you have kids that will keep the dog busy, it may be a good fit. We're in our early 40's and don't have kids and ours is a little too high energy for us.

Comment

Standard. All day long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Plain Lucky View Post
        It's relieving to hear some good stories about doodles.

We have a chocolate golden doodle that we purchased from a breeder north of Wichita Kansas. We love her but we won't have another one. She is by far the oddest dog we've ever owned. Just over a year old now and still struggling with potty training. She is very easily distracted when going outside, hard to handle on a leash, chases squirrels, and VERY uneasy about anything new. We don't know if maybe she doesn't see very well or what but she is very cautious if something appears in a place it normally isn't. Like a new fence, or a trash can, or a new person in the house that she's never met. We are dog people and have 5 other dogs right now (2 labs, 2 muts, and a yorkie.) The doodle and the yorkie are the only two who have free roam of the house since neither of them shed.

The yorkie on the other hand, is hands down he best dog we've ever had. I would highly recommend a yorkie for anyone looking for a house dog that doesn't shed (and willing to admit they own and love their yorkie.)

In talking to a few friends who have labradoodles or goldendoodles, I would generally categorize them as a higher energy dog. If you have kids that will keep the dog busy, it may be a good fit. We're in our early 40's and don't have kids and ours is a little too high energy for us.
        That sucks to hear. That is one of the risks I've heard with 'doodles' no pure breed standards to be enforced. Even with that said every 'doodle' I've seen has been great. You are unfortunate. :-(

I can tell you several of the traits you mentioned are explicitly against the breed standard of Poodles. Of course some may exhibit those traits especially from a disreputable breeder.

To OP, finding a good breeder is PARAMOUNT. The only one I can first hand reccomend is WeKay. Generally a good sign if they are passionate about the breed. Also, closely check out your pups parents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd get the standard poodle for sure. They're great hunting dogs. A family friend had a black standard poodle and he used to take it with him to the company skeet range. That dog would chase the clay birds coming out of the low house and jump to try and catch them. We had a blast shooting them as he was trying to catch them.

I don't remember the dogs name, but that was a dove retrieving machine.

Comment

They’re cool dogs!!

Comment

Tagged for our baby girl is getting old...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You should PM Frogsticker. I got our micro dog from him but he mentioned having standard poodles.

Comment

Go with the standard. I have two very smart easy to train will hunt and blood track. Love the breed mine are obedient trained agility trained and great with kids. Protective of the house car and wife. My black female is Texas certified blood tracker. You cant go wrong with the pure breed.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Weimerainer with an afro...............

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                      Weimerainer with an afro...............
                      Now that's funny!

Comment

Standards are the best, I have two reds.

A breeder local to Austin is Providential Poodles (find them on facebook). The owner is Wendy and she is a top notch person, not running a puppy mill and will help you out as an owner with whatever you need.

Tell her I sent you and she will charge a little extra; hey, you get what you pay for right?

My male from her is 8 1/2 months old an almost 50 pounds; he's going to be big, his sire is 75 pounds. She is between litters right now, but should have some not too far off. She breeds for reds but will have a few fawn and creme as well in a litter usually.

Poodles re very smart and need intelligent interaction, very trainable with positive reinforcement (food work) and they really want to please their human.

Most are high energy, but some are higher than others; just ask the questions when looking for a pup, the breeder should be able to tell you what characteristics the pup is likely to have.

Above all, be honest with the breeder about your expectations, level of training and family involvement from a Poodle. This will go a long way in getting exactly the dog you want.

Comment

This Sam and Xena about two months ago still in their puppy groom.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Back up. Looking for standard poodle. Please let me know if you have recommendations.

Comment

check out seventh heaven labordoodles on facebook

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                                Back up. Looking for standard poodle. Please let me know if you have recommendations.
                                Look up Simply Southern Retrievers on FB. Great bloodlines and great people.

Comment

Working...
                                X